Rockin out in Gold Butte


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Mesquite
February 15th 2016
Published: February 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Devil's throatDevil's throatDevil's throat

The theory is that the area was filled with gypsum, became saturated and created this sinkhole. It goes down about 30-40 feet.
Just outside of Las Vegas a little over an hour, you can find some of the most beautiful rock formations and open country in the area. You'll have to work for it though as the route to Gold Butte is a bit rough, a lotta bit rough to be honest. This country is BLM land and has been a long time focus of advocates who'd like to see it become a national monument. With our popular House representative on his way out soon, this may just be the year this far out of the way place changes ownership.

Luckily, a friend took me out with her and her on the trip and I am super thankful for that - I needed a break from dissertation and this job search! Also, this has been at the top of my must-see list for a while now. We first stopped to see Devil's throat, which is a major hole in the ground - it is cooler than it sounds trust me! Then on to Little Finland, which is the home of most of the beautiful rock formations below. Then on to some cool petroglyphs and awesome country side.

This is some rough country, so I'd recommend a 4wd and full provisions - water, food and shelter - just in case.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



15th February 2016

Good trip!
So much to see in our own backyard! Doesn't mean I want to stop wanderlust adventures ever.

Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb