Viva Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
April 30th 2011
Published: June 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.0846, -115.172

This morning we have breakfast in front of a big open fire as the weather is chilly. We are heading to Vegas today with only one stop (Hoover Dam). Our sat nav tells us it is a four and a half hour trip and we skip the remaining R66 components of the journey as Deb is busting to get to the Sin City. We exit the I40 at Kingman and reduce our speed by 10 mph as highway 93 begins to narrow.

Three and a half hours into todays trip the Hoover Dam approaches along with strong wind warnings. As we drive past the dam wall in the distance to our right, we wonder if we missed the exit however we spot it some 5 miles on and join a long line of traffic on a bypass road. It is worth the effort as we actually drive over the dam wall then pull into some parking spots for great photos.

On the road again we pass through Boulder City then spot Vegas in the distance (it's bigger than I thought). As we approach the traffic builds and everybody is speeding. My sat nav leads me to a dead end so I decide to wing it and head for the strip. The only place I can see is the Belagio however it was fully booked and we are staying next door in a hotel called the Vdara. The city is as busy as you could imagine and navigating to our hotel requires multiple loops on entry and exit ramps that you might expect to see in Los Angeles but we finally pull in and get the car valet parked. END OF ROAD TRIP ! (I will kind of miss it).

We check into our room and it is something else, like a mini penthouse with views to die for. We dump our luggage and hit the strip for some food and margaritas. For dinner we visit the Aria Casino and have as much crab and lobster as we can eat with never ending wine for $49.95. Tonight we sleep like babies.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb