Day 18 (and some of Day 17) Las Vegas:


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
July 14th 2015
Published: July 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Night 17 & Day 18 Latitude 36.1128127, Longitude -115.17. Temperature- too damn hot. We arrived at the Bellagio put the kids in the room to watch the Fountains and went out in search of show tickets. We scored two shows, one for Monday night and another for Tuesday night. We cleaned up and headed out to our first show. However, the boys witnessed as we crisscrossed through hotels and casinos they saw people throwing money all around, and we all moved quickly so we wouldn’t have to taste so much smoke from the tables. We arrived for our show, V, the Ultimate Variety Show. It sought to capture the past by presenting various entertainers, from comedy, juggling, acrobats, animal acts, and an amazing contortionist--Turf (see his pic with Luc below). Indeed, we were fully entertained. Some of the acts have been on America’s Got Talent and one guy had been on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Now the boys had a true taste of Vegas that we wanted them to experience, the Vegas Show part-not the nicotine drenched souls pouring their paycheck into the slots. However, the best was yet to come. As we woke on Tuesday (I am disappointed no one is home to put the French Flag out front for Bastille Day) we spent the morning lounging by the pool at the Bellagio. Thankfully, Tracey and Alec got there when they opened and got us spot right by the water that stayed in the shade until about 11:30—perfect. I really miss being near the water at home.

As evening drew upon us we headed to our main event in Las Vegas, David Copperfield. This show blew us away. I will never forget the looks of amazement on both Luc and Alec each time they turned to us after each illusion was performed. To me the shows are the most redeeming quality of this desert stop over.

I remember coming here twenty-five years earlier with my parents and aunt. My dad took us to see several shows. I was able to pick out a couple. We saw Jay Leno do stand up at Caesar’s Palace; we watched the jousting at Excalibur—one of my picks that he endured. We saw different lounge acts. My most vivid memory is when we went to the Four Queens to see Don Rickles. That was the hardest I have ever laughed in my life. He bought us general admission tickets but a $20 Vegas handshake later the maître’d had us standing near the stage in the middle of a bunch of other people sitting down. He then snapped his fingers and two guys came out with a table and chairs for us and they squeezed us in. All things change, there doesn’t seem to be that kind of opportunity anymore, people don’t get as dressed up for the shows either. There are kids everywhere at all hours of the night, camera phones are allowed in the casino. Tracey and I, put the kids to bed and walked around last night. There didn’t seem to be any electricity coming from the crap tables. Not to mention when we went to the Paris Hotel, there didn’t seem to be any hoopla for Bastille Day, but I digress.

We played a little and our losses topped out at fifty bucks. I regained half the hundred I lost to my androgynous dealer earlier in the day. Cost less than dinner and movie for a night’s entertainment.

Our view of the Fountains was spectacular and the shows were special.

Next Stop California!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



19th July 2015

Great trip
I enjoyed reading the Turgeon adventure. What a memory gift for the boys. I can't wait for the next chapter.
19th July 2015

Great trip
I enjoyed reading the Turgeon adventure. What a memory gift for the boys. I can't wait for the next chapter.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb