Day 17: Get Your Kicks on Route 66 and Plenty of Dam Jokes


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Kingman
July 13th 2015
Published: July 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 17: Latitude 35.21, Longitude -114.01, 95 degrees in Kingman, AZ, and a whopping 113 degrees when we pulled into the Hoover Dam. Starting Mileage today, 3793.

We woke up and said goodbye to the tranquil grandeur of the Canyon as our Wolfpack climbed aboard Silver Sally and headed into the exact opposite, to the decadence and den of inequity that is Las Vegas.

However, as we were traveling along we realized that since we were on a road trip across these United States we should at least spend a couple miles traveling along Historic Route 66 to live the out the song and cruise along this piece of Americana. We needed lunch and what better place than a Drive-In. Albeit a Sonic, it was still a drive-in. And the best part was that the waitress was on roller skates. She had some serious moves as she delivered the tray of burgers, dogs and milkshakes right to our window, just like in American Graffiti. Silver Sally was not the most unique vehicle to pull into the Drive-In; a dune buggy and a helicopter also pulled in for a bite to eat.

Only a couple hours later we found ourselves in Nevada, 113 degrees of mercury. We crossed the bridge and explored one of the marvels of American engineering, the Power Plant of the great Hoover Dam. We were greeted at the Dam Visitor Center by a nice old lady who told us, “the Dam tour will take about an hour.” As we followed our Dam tour guide, Preston into the Dam elevator and descended 700 feet we were able to ask all the Dam questions we wanted. Preston, our Dam tour guide, told us we could take all the Dam pictures we wanted. It was Dam interesting. Although, Luc did burn his arm outside on the Dam brass rail, we left pretty Dam happy.

We departed Hoover Dam with the almost empty Lake Meade (as evidenced by the white face of the land surrounding the lake) behind us and forty minutes later we arrived in Las Vegas having crossed the 4000 miles driven threshold, totaling 4097 miles from Mansfield, MA. However, we will talk about that later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb