Moab to Sedona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
November 23rd 2014
Published: November 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

It has been several weeks since our last blog entry. Just too busy having fun I guess.

The remainder of our time in Moab included a hike at Dead Horse State Park. The story goes that in the late 1800’s when horses were at a premium cowboys would corral wild horses on a mountain cliff so they could contain them and choose those they wanted. They supposedly left the rest to survive (or not) without water and food. It’s not a nice story but it was the Wild West after all! More hiking at Canyonland including the Grand Arch and Green River Lookout. When we leave a special place like Moab we make a mental checklist of what we’ll do the next time. One in Moab would be The Needles which we have not visited.

We found a beautiful spot at Quail Lake State Park in Utah near St. George. There were no hookups but our bus is self contained with a generator so we can last about a week in the boonies “dry camping”. We stayed a few nights in this peaceful park and hiked in Snow Canyon State Park in St. George.

You may remember that we have had mechanical issues with our motor home on and off. We understand that most RVers have these experiences but each time we are surprised and naturally frustrated. Now we know what it is like for the breakdown to require towing. Thankfully we were only an hour north of Las Vegas when we smelled something burning. It turned out to be a leak in the hydraulic fluid. This repair held us up for a few days and lightened our wallets but on the plus side we met an interesting couple from northern California also occupying a lot at the Freightliner dealer. They tow a trailer with an elevator for 2 sand buggies and a motorcycle (do you believe??. ) We had a ball grilling with them.

We stayed at a Thousand Trails Park and enjoyed a few good hikes in the Spring Mountains. We treated ourselves to a show on the strip called The Million Dollar Quartet about a one and only recording session with Elvis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis at Sun Studios in Memphis. The performers did justice to the music especially Jerry Lee Lewis. Great Balls of Fire! It was our era and we loved the music. Our real reason for being in Las Vegas however was to travel to LA for the memorial service of our Aunt Janet who died at age 93. Her great blessing was keeping a sharp mind and enjoying her life until the end and sharing that joy with all of us. What a great lady. Again RVing allowed us to spend time with extended family and our special CALI family.

We were glad to leave the busy traffic of LV behind. We arrived in Cottonwood near Sedona , Arizona without incident four days ago. This area has gorgeous red mountains and many wonderful hikes and we love it. It is a touristy town but classy too. We were treated to the views at the Faye Canyon hike and came upon a couple from NYC sitting on the mountainside who had JUST become engaged. We forget their names but wish them a long and happy marriage! We then climbed straight up over lots of rocks. That exceeded my comfort level.

I have setup the “kitchen” for quilting. We can still cook but no eating at the dinner table. It has been converted to a sewing center. Thank you Terry who is fine eating at his “desk.”

Today we took a train trip in the mountains in exchange for listening to a presentation on time shares. It was worth the time we put into it. We think. Really it was beautiful and a hoot meeting some interesting people from Phoenix. It’s important to socialize with others or we get snappy with one another!

We move soon to a Thousand Trails park here in Cottonwood where we will spend Thanksgiving dinner in the park restaurant eating with strangers. We’d rather be at home celebrating with our kids and grands who give us great pleasure! For them and our many blessings we are thankful. Hoping you feel the same on Thanksgiving!

Advertisement



25th November 2014

Jealous!
Sounds like you two are really enjoying yourselves on this trip. Having been to many of the areas you go to brings back many great memories. The only difference is you stay much longer than we did. Again, this country offers many beautiful sights to see and experience. Thanks for the blog, quite detailed. Enjoy what you see and who you meet. And above all, stay safe.
26th November 2014

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND TERRY..
30th November 2014

Thanks!
We're hoping you've enjoyed this Thanksgiving weekend. Were you with the boys and grands? W
26th November 2014

Can we get together either in Flagstaff or Surprise? We're going to Vegas Thursday and return (to Surprise) Saturday afternoon. We'll both be there Sat, & Sunday evening I come back to Flagstaff.....Kathy remains in the valley during the week. Address in Flag is 5601 White Horse Drive....Cosnino exit off I-40. Sorry we missed you @ church in October.
26th November 2014

Can we get together either in Flagstaff or Surprise? We're going to Vegas Thursday and return (to Surprise) Saturday afternoon. We'll both be there Sat, & Sunday evening I come back to Flagstaff.....Kathy remains in the valley during the week. Address in Flag is 5601 White Horse Drive....Cosnino exit off I-40. Sorry we missed you @ church in October.
26th November 2014

Yes let's together
Great to hear from you John. We'd love to see you and Kathy. We're in Sedona and headed to Good Life RV Park in Mesa on 12/8. We'leave be in the area until 12/29 so will have plenty of time to get together. Please keep in touch and send along your phone number. We have lots of catching up to do.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb