Arizona Holidays


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Mesa
January 5th 2015
Published: January 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Just as many of you suffered with the flu this winter so did we while at Cottonwood Thousand Trails Park. And yes it did drag on and on and on. The high points there were the Thanksgiving dinner at the park restaurant which was delishe, and the new friends we made. We did have a true desert experience when I found a dead pack rat in our kitchen sink which was full of water. It had a long tail and ears, different from any rat we’ve seen before. (Keep in mind that we have little experience and expertise and that’s the way we want to keep it!) I guess Mr. Rat was thirsty but apparently did not have an exit strategy. Very poor planning. Enough said for our time at Cottonwood.

We arrived at Good Life RV Park in Mesa, AZ in early December and decided to stay until after Christmas. We also extended our stay the last time we were here 3 years ago. As before, the park was lit up and residents decorated to the hilt. There are awards for the best site, street, etc. Even the cactus were decorated for Christmas. While large, the park is very friendly and has entertainment every minute of the day. Biking, motorcycling, quilting, crafts, any type of exercise known to man, wood shop, games, dancing to live music, drama, etc. etc. We even tried pickleball. The New Years Eve party was so much fun that we lasted well beyond midnight.

We were not looking forward to celebrating Christmas without our family in Michigan and hoped it would be over quickly. And we did miss them. Our nephew Gary and wife Katherine and family invited us to spend Christmas day with them in Tucson and stay the night. The bonus was that our sister Lynne was there too. It was a very nice day with great food and lots of laughs reliving the times Gary spent with us when growing up and other family stories. Thank you Gary and Katherine for saving the day! We hiked the Sunset Trail at Picacho Peak on our way back to Mesa and enjoyed beautiful vistas.

We skyped with the kids and grands when our boys and families got together for the Whitley Christmas. That really made us feel lonely and we’ve decided Christmas will be spent at home from now on.

We’ve enjoyed hiking here, especially the Cave Trail in Usery Regional Park, and both the Hieroglyphics and Canyon Lake Trails in the Superstitions. We joined with three other couples on 2 motorcycle rides exploring the mountains. We have watched most of the bowl games but missed the last quarter of the Spartan win thinking that they had lost their chance. How could we? That’s what we’re asking.



We leave here in a few days for Tucson staying at Catalina State Park in the desert mountains. Happy New Year to each of you! We feel blessed to have you as friends and family and love hearing back from you.

Advertisement



6th January 2015

See you are making use of your time.
Ya, flu season. We got it, too. Sounds like you are seeing interesting places, again, and meeting new people. The fun part of camping. Campers, hunters, fishing folks all seem to be friendly people. As for being with family for Christmas we spent a week or so with daughter and family in Orlando area, sister/husband drove up from Naples as well, and visited long time friends in the area. Back in Culver. I'm steeling myself right now to bundle up and clear the 4-5 inches of snow we got last night. It's 8 degrees and I'm not too interested in the endeavor. Take care. Stay safe. As for pack rats, not an experience I'd want.
8th January 2015

The good thing about cold weather is that you will not find a pack rat in your sink! Thanks for keeping in touch Bill. Stay warm. See you in May.
8th January 2015

Keeping in Touch
Dear Sissie and Terry, So glad to hear from you and that you are enjoying yourselves in the southwest, even if you do miss people back in Michigan, land of snow and cold. It just keeps on snowing here--and being cold. Some of went to see Unbroken, you probably heard. I'm listening to Bob Dylan CD's and reading biographies about him. Learning a lot about American Music and how widely he was influenced by-and influenced it himself. Remember-- we'll talk about you at Nancy's on the 17th. Love, Gail

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb