Day 11 -Victorville (briefly), Barstow and Vegas baby!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
April 30th 2014
Published: April 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Got away early from LA, sorry to go but we know we will be back in a couple days. Our GPS decided to have a good day, and safely guided us out along various highways onto the route to Vegas.

We had decided prior to the trip to make a short ten minute diversion to Victorville Airfield, to view the plane graveyard there. We had read that access is difficult, as it is restricted to authorised personnel because some of the planes are military. In the end, even going up dirt side road was no good. We could see a lot of planes, but nothing special. Maybe Mojave on the next trip! Or Area 51?

Barstow was for the shoppers of course. Interesting place, as one set of shops is completely empty and all the outlets have moved to the new mall 200m away. Both are supposedly owned by the same guy, but he moved the stores as he was told the old ones had bad Feng Shui. Or so the story goes...only in America! Shopping was ok but nothing we hadn't seen before, so didn't spend long here. Had lunch next door at In n Out burger...masses of people, and we agreed it was one of the best burgers we've had.

Arrived at Stratosphere safely with Shiree at the helm who decided if we were going to drive at 75mph she would rather be in control. Great, let Gary have a snooze to recover from shopping! Hotel is great, only slight downer is that it is a fair way north up the strip from all the other hotels...but that is not all bad.

Went up the tower, got a few pictures and had dinner at McCalls, great steaks!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.6kb