Viva Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
May 16th 2013
Published: May 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We Stand AmazedWe Stand AmazedWe Stand Amazed

The view at night is always amazing. The number, variety, and brightness of the lights is amazing!
Vegas is always a great trip! It is an easy flight and the public transportation is very good. We booked a four night stay at the Excalibur. Leave at a reasonable hour on Monday, return on Friday with the weekend to recuperate (from the mental anguish of the great financial loss that normally occurs).

We joined my brother, Mike, and sister-in-law, Debbie, for this jaunt. We always have a great time together and have made this trip together in the past. They left from Amarillo, Texas and we all met up at the Las Vegas Airport. We walked out of the airport to be faced with our first taste of 100 degree weather. What a shocking jolt to the memory! We had forgotten how hot summer can get. And to think that I wasted space in my suitcase with a pull-over hoodie for the cool! Duh!

After settling into our respective rooms and changing (me) into more appropriate attire (shorts), we headed out onto the strip. Actually, that occurred after losng our first $40 (joint loss) - Cynde on the penny machines and me on the quarter machines.

It seems that the city, and the strip in particular,
Six Lanes of TrafficSix Lanes of TrafficSix Lanes of Traffic

I for one, would not want to drive around town here on a regular basis. These folks are crazy!
is ever changing. New construction and re-modeling projects abound. The new City Center properties are amazing. We were able to visit a Chihouley gallery at City Center and saw not only his beautiful glass work, but his works in oils.

Vegas shopping seems to have possibly outpaced gambling for some visitors. All the large casinos have extravagant shopping malls. The stores are mostly those with merchandise far too expensive for the normal visitor. However, it does provide the opportunity for "the rest of us" to actually see what a $10,000 purse looks like. These stores are amazing. Their display areas are sparse, showing only 15 or 20 items. However, Vegas does have other retail outlets that are more realistic. On Wednesday, we hit the outlet mall. The mall was totally enclosed so we quickly forgot the early summer heat. The stores were packed with merchandise and there was not a slot machine to be seen, or heard!

For this trip, we booked two shows, The Jersey Boys and Ka. Wednesday night was The Jersey Boys, an amazingly incredible story of The Four Seasons and Frankie Valli. The story followed their troubled beginnings (some pretty serious brushes with the
Mike and Debbie at Margaretaville Mike and Debbie at Margaretaville Mike and Debbie at Margaretaville

When your are close to Jimmy Buffet's place, you gotta have a Cheeseburger in Paradise!
law), the ever evolving membership of the group, and finally a winning combination that brought success. Through the years with the loss of members of the group, Frankie Valli eventually became the headliner.

Well, on to more adventures for our final full day.

Happy Travels!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Kenny Catching a RideKenny Catching a Ride
Kenny Catching a Ride

Sometimes you just get tired of the bus!
Jersey BoysJersey Boys
Jersey Boys

Great show recounting the careers of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Everything about this show was great!


2nd June 2013

viva las vegas
thanks for keeping me posted about your doings and where You are. Keep having FUN.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb