American Road Trip Pt 2 - Fear & loathing (& sunbathing) in Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
June 29th 2010
Published: July 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Lesson learnt...don't go traveling around America without a laptop! WIFI is everywhere you go for free, internet kiosks are expensive and they don't like you to upload photos! I promise as soon as we find a decent computer we will bore you all with snaps so far!

With that said...here's the next part of our journey in Bob the trusty Beetle.

We drove for an epic 8 hours across California and onto dusty, hot Nevada. We finally arrived in fabulous Las Vegas at about 8pm and checked into our room at the Sahara Hotel. We really hit the jackpot with a massive room, 2 double beds and our own ensuite bathroom (luxury, considering we paid $5 more for a tent in Yosemite, with a toilet up a hill).

The Sahara is an old hotel by Vegas standards and was the toast of the town when it first opened in 1953...Elvis stayed there so if it's good enough for the king! Obviously there's other glamorous places on the strip but they're only a monorail ride away. We spent our time in Vegas lying by the pool in the 40 degrees sunshine and eating all day buffets and burgers. You definitely need more money to enjoy Vegas properly but we were content with 'low rolling' on the $1 slot machines and watching the human zoo of people walking past!

After 3 days of sweating our all the junk food, and soaking up some sun...San Diego was the final stop with Bob, so we drove down on 1st July and found our hostel in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter (like the Northern Quarter in Manchester).

Unfortunately we were struck by the HI Hostel curse again...!






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb