Road Trip to Vegas and Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
April 15th 2009
Published: April 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well a lot has happened since our last blog, as we now sit in an internet cafe in deepest Buenos Aires.

We will update you on here later, but first from our last few days in Tahoe and our drive down through Nevada to Las Vegas and then the Grand Canyon.

Si came to visit us for the last couple of weeks during all this, and we had a great time skiing/boarding, Si managed to develop his robot skiing stance into more of a Lee Mills stance, and he conquered the mighty double black diamond run known as "The Wall" at Kirkwood, California.

Si´s rental car for the week was the luxurious PT Cruiser, and we had another one for the trip down to Vegas, after some initial misgivings we all came to love these crappy little cars after putting more than 2000 miles on them collectively.

We drove all the way from Lake Tahoe in Northern Nevada to Las Vegas (about 8 hours) but there were some great views and its interesting to see how the landscape changes as you travel. This and a few choice games of I-Spy made the trip fly by.

So we arrived in Vegas and immediately went for a walk down the strip, its an amazing sight and kind of like being in a huge theme park, like disney land for adults.

It was such a change from the scenery and serenity of Tahoe, and it was so busy because it was Spring Break, so lots of groups out on the town trying to win big, or drink big. Si was enthralled by the giant Glass Coca-cola structure... not to mention our hotel, Hooters, which actually was pretty damn good. Nice pool and more modern than some of the other low end casinos on the strip! The high end ones were something else!! From the live lions inside the MGM casino, to the fountain displays on the 1/2 hour outside the Bellagio!

The weather was a sweltering 78 degrees both days, we made the most of it with a trip to Lake Mead and the hoover dam on the first day, and Si and I visited The Grand Canyon on the other day.. (5 hours drive EACH WAY!!).. well worth it however!
Nat meanwhile was in bed all day with a dickie belly...

We left Vegas at 3am on tuesday morning.. flew with Lan to Buenos Aires (best flight for a long time may I add- metal knives and forks, better than normal food, emergency exit seats, great movies...result!!)

Its odd being in such a big city. BA is not dissimilar to Barcelona or Paris or any other european city..... our hostel is a verrrry different kettle of fish to having our own cosy flat... we will see how our first night in a dorm with 12 people (plus the bed bugs) pans out..


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



15th April 2009

wow you lucky lucky things sounds amazing! whats wrong with noodles's belly??? oh dear not the trots hehe!!! xx
15th April 2009

wow
hi nat and Matt sounds great, what happened with the belly natalie? too much of what? hey matt did you and Si go on the perspex walkway at the grand canyon. BA must be exciting plenty of nice steaks - yummy. how about horse riding there? love to you both xxx

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb