Holbrook to Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
November 5th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wig Wam MotelWig Wam MotelWig Wam Motel

One of three Wig Wam Motels left in the US, this one is located in Holbrook, AZ on historic Route 66. They have vintage cars parked in front of each Tee Pee.
Howdy from Vegas. I’m relaxing today trying to get the better of a cold that seemed to find me a couple of days ago.

We’ve had a great time since Jeff and Toni met up with me in Holbrook, AZ. They stayed in one of three Wig Wam Motels that remain. The others are in CA and KY.

Sunday we stopped in Winslow, AZ and “stood on a corner” made famous by The Eagles back in the 70s. Then it was on to the Grand Canyon. What’s not to like about seeing yet another of our GREAT National Parks? We were surprised at the number of people visiting the park in November. It was much more crowded than any of us thought it would be. I think Jeff summed it up well as we drove along the Rim Road and caught our first glimpses of the canyon for this trip. Through the trees we would see just a tease of the vastness before us. Jeff compared it to driving along the beach and catching the first views of the ocean.

As you will see from the images, we had some clouds on Sunday at the Grand Canyon -
Flat Bed FordFlat Bed FordFlat Bed Ford

Here's the corner in Winslow, AZ made famous by the Eagles song Take It Easy.
even had a brief shower on the drive from Winslow to Grand Canyon. Monday morning was clear and cold. Jeff and Toni slept in and missed the glorious sunrise.

We visited Lookout Studio and Hopi House after breakfast. Both of these buildings are very old and pre-date the National Park. At the Kolb House (a studio and gift shop) we were able to view two Condors who flew into the canyon below us.

Had an absolute blast in Seligman, AZ as we walked and drove along a section of historic Route 66. We had lunch at a great little burger place that has been run by the same family for two generations. We also learned the Birthplace of the Historic Route 66 Association is Seligman. Angel Delgadillo (who is 81 and still plays in his family band) was a barber and started the Historic Route 66 Association. We got to see his barber shop - where he still occasionally cuts hair. We also met his daughter and nephew (who runs the burger joint where we had lunch). Angel’s brother Juan established Delgadillo’s Snow Cap in 1953!

We’ve decided on our next visit to this part of the
Standin' On A CornerStandin' On A CornerStandin' On A Corner

Here's Jeff and I Standing On a Corner in Winslow, AZ.
country, we will spend several days driving the longest stretch of historic Route 66 that remains intact - from the California state line to Ash Fork, AZ.

We made it to the Hoover Dam just before dark on Monday. Two years ago when we were here we did the tour so this time we just viewed the dam from an Arizona overlook and rolled on in to Vegas.

What a contrast between Grand Canyon and Vegas. Not only the stark difference from the clear star filled skies and vast beauty of nature to the bright neon lights of the city, but the temperature differences were significant, too. I had on long underwear and a heavy coat for sunrise and then Monday night after we had dinner I went out to photograph the campground in short sleeves! It is a little cooler here today, but still very pleasant.

Tuesday we visited Boulder City and had a great time talking with Jill at the Chamber of Commerce and enjoying a great small town in the good ole USA.

Tuesday evening we went 800 plus feet above the Strip in the Stratosphere Tower and had a great time viewing
Mather PointMather PointMather Point

Here's a view of the Grand Canyon on Sunday afternoon from Mather Point near the Visitor Center. Elevation here is 6850 feet.
the city of Las Vegas.

Well that’s it for now. Hope you enjoy the images from the last few days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Sunrise at Grand CanyonSunrise at Grand Canyon
Sunrise at Grand Canyon

Unlike my days at Arches where I had a 'guide' to take me to all the great locations in just the right light, I had to find spots myself in Grand Canyon. I had hoped for another spot for sunrise, but they restricted vehicle access and I didn't have time to walk in. But I did manage to find what I think was a pretty good location to watch the sunrise along the Desert View Drive between Yaki Point and Grandview Point.
Another view Sunrise at the Grand CanyonAnother view Sunrise at the Grand Canyon
Another view Sunrise at the Grand Canyon

Here's another view from the overlook at sunrise.
Lookout StudioLookout Studio
Lookout Studio

We were able to see two Condors from this location.
CondorCondor
Condor

You'll notice they have tagged the Condors with bands and number on their wings. We got to see 97 and 22.
2nd Condor2nd Condor
2nd Condor

Here's the other Condor.
Hopi HouseHopi House
Hopi House

Hopi House at Grand Canyon, built in 1905.
Get your Kicks on Route 66Get your Kicks on Route 66
Get your Kicks on Route 66

Here's Delgadillo's Snow Cap in Seligman, AZ where we had lunch.
Hoover DamHoover Dam
Hoover Dam

Here's a view of the Hoover Dam from the Arizona side. In a couple of years they will finish a bridge over the Colorado River just below the dam and the road over the dam will be closed to all vehicular traffic.
Vegas CamproundVegas Campround
Vegas Campround

I'm staying in the Sam's Town Campground. Two years ago when I stayed in the hotel here, the casino you see in the background wasn't here. In fact the portion of the campground where I'm parked was an overflow parking area two years ago, too!


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb