Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
June 24th 2008
Published: June 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Osama meets the M4 CarbineOsama meets the M4 CarbineOsama meets the M4 Carbine

how much more american can you get ^^
So, after spending quite a lot of time in San Francisco, I flew out and on to Las Vegas in the middle of the desert.

Pretty much as soon as you arrive you are hit with the gambling. The airport is covered with slot machines. The airport is pretty busy, one of the most busy airports in the world, so it took a while to find my bag and the right shuttle to the hostel... anyway, i got there eventually.

Las Vegas is really strange in a lot of ways, but one of the ways was how all of the wealth was concentrated on basically one street. All of the big resorts, busy casinos and expensive hotels are located on Las Vegas Blvd. If you move even half a mile away from it in any direction the scenery turns into run down houses, old motels and dodgy looking guys hanging around on the street corners. The hostel i was staying at wasn't on Las Vegas Blvd, nor was it half a mile away. It was about 3 miles away - which gives you an idea of the area it was in. As we drove through the city in the airport shuttle it started descending into motels with more broken neons than working ones, and weird guys trying to sell you all manner of things. Not the place you want to walk alone at night. But with that said, the hostel was really nice inside.

I was in a 6-bed dorm, the first one so far with an en-suite bathroom. So that was cool, I was sharing a room with a german guy, two Japanese guys, an American guy who was moving to vegas to become a professional boxer and a second english guy also called Dan, which was weird.

Sooo, on to what i spent my time doing...

day 1... I got to the hostel at about 3pm - so i spent some time chilling out and then went for a walk down to the main strip with Dan to see what was going on. It was absolutely crazy, loads of people, more lights and signs than time square and a casual 40 degrees celcius. The heat was probably the strangest thing about las vegas, it never dropped below 40 degrees. The one day it hit 49 degrees! Unbareable!

day 2... I slept late for the first time in a while, followed by some food shopping etc. nothing much goes on until evening in vegas. So, in the evening me and Sho from japan went down to the main area of Fremont street to check out the light show. This was one of the coolest things in las vegas - and it's free!

day 3... I went to the grand canyon - which has it's own blog post

day 4... chilled out

day 5... Sho and I went to a shooting range about 13 miles from our hostel. If you didn't know, nevada has some of the most relaxed laws regarding firearms in the USA. I shot a Desert Eagle, an AK-47, an M4, a .308 sniper rifle and a semi-auto 12 guage shotgun. This was one of the coolest days I had in vegas. I didn't feel that the Deagle kicked back as much as it has a reputation for doing. I also found it fairly accurate - although the range was fairly short. The AK was more fun to shoot than the M4 and the 12 guage was awesome. The sniper rifle was by far the coolest gun to shoot. I'd definately like to shoot some more rifles sometime - maybe I'll buy an air rifle or something in the UK... not comparable to what i did in vegas but it's the best the UK can do i guess :P

And that was about it for las vegas... my shuttle was at 4AM, so i just stayed up all night - which worked for the most part.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



26th June 2008

lolz
the real question is, how much did you gamble lol.
11th July 2008

Hmmm
Was vagas good, i imagine it looses a bit of its lure when your not gambling? Hope your ZA portion of the trip is more relaxing :P
12th July 2008

u play too much WoW mate :P ZA is great :)

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb