VIVA LAS VEGAS, VIVA LAS VEGAS


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
November 26th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

VIVA LAS VEGAS, VIVA LAS VEGAS
Eventually we pop through the desert ridge line and see below us the smog filled desert valley that cradles Las Vegas - do we or don’t we? - we had booked the camp ground and organised to meet Trace and Marc who will fly in from Santa Fe for the weekend, so it is connect up ‘Barb’ the GPS and lock in KOA campground Circus Circus and venture forth.
Can you imagine a giant asphalt RV park with occasional trees and some grass, in the middle of a city and attached to the casino of Circus Circus - this stop had a free golf cart shuttle just to get you from your RV to the entrance of the RV park, but that was the end of the ‘freebies’ unless you just want to walk the ‘Strip’ - Las Vegas Boulevard. We were very lucky to find ourselves a site “with grass and a tree” for the ‘front yard’ of Revvy and set up our table and chairs as usual cracked a beer and glass of wine and sat in amusement amongst the towering cliffs of concrete, steel, glass, cranes, neon signs, roller coasters, the 100 foot high flashing neon clown at the entrance to Circus Circus, pirate ships, Venetian canals with gondolas, Pyramids, Sphinx, Eiffel tower, Roman statuary and chariots of Caesar’s Palace - what have we done? -This is a million miles from where we have been. But we’ve come to do the town, so here we go!!!!
First of all it was time to prepare the Pumpkin we bought for Halloween(yes we got sucked in to it, too) - so Ian got out the 6-inch carving knife and started about making the pumpkin look like all those plastic ones in the shops. Soon we had rescued the seeds from the centre and looked up a recipe on WiFi and Corrie was baking the seeds and then we set a candle in the pumpkin and we were ‘in the Halloween flow’.
It was time to walk the strip and walk and walk and walk and 5 hours later crashed into bed de-dazzled by the glitz and gambling opportunities - free drinks while you gamble did not tempt us beyond $1 on the penny machine.
Next day was time to prepare for pickup of Trace and Marc at the airport at 7pm and having got them we brought them back as our first sleep over visitors to Revvy. We immediately hit the town and made our way to the Bellagio for the buffet - in LV eating is definitely one of the alternatives to gambling - it was a fabulous buffet, thanks for the recommendation Ronald, and especially when washed down with a good NZ white or two. After dinner and toooooo many deserts we went out the front see the water fountain show at the front of the Bellagio that is set to a different piece of music every 15 minutes - absolutely fantastic with about 10 acres of pond and fountains. More walking and digesting and phone calls to Trace’s Mum and Dad in NZ, as it is one of their favourite towns, as we lounged on the stone sidewalk seats beside the ‘Canals of Venice’ outside the Venetian and watched the stripe shirted Gondoliers take their patrons for a ride.
The next morning we awoke for the next alternative to gambling and eating, which is theme rides so it was off to the 107th floor of the Stratosphere for a nonchalant spinning octopus ride while dangling off the outside of the tower spinning and looking at the city below - not enough - up to the 108th floor and C and Marc are enticed into the front seat of a sled that rushes down a sloped beam and comes to a stop at the end while dangling in space while all the people inside the glass photograph the screams and closed eyes. O.K. say Trace and Ian there must be better than this so lets all catch the shuttle to New York New York Casino and ride the tallest roller coaster in the world in 1994 when it was built - wonder how the bolts are 13 years on? - we all screamed and laughed (C with eyes closed) as we looped the loop and finally decided enough and retired to Caesar’s Palace for buffet, not as good as Bellagio, and then to the pool area for a lay down and watch the passing parade. An interesting section of this pool area was the Venus Garden where cameras are not allowed and clothes are optional and on a cruise via the bar at the end of the pool we were able to observe a young lady who decided it was time to be initiated to ‘shots from her navel’ - so up on the bar in her white bikini and lays full length and the young guys start to pour salt on her navel and fill it with tequila shots and suck them out as she ensures her girlfriend is getting it all on film - Oh well! Whatever - so after every good looking young man who wanted to drink a shot had finished, off the bar and on with the day as the bar staff nonchalantly reset the bar as if it happens every day (probably does - this is Las Vegas - we shall not go into the full detail of the Venus garden.
No time for a hike that day !!!!
But some rest was needed so we spent all of Sunday on the lawn, under our tree, beside Revvy having a yummy late breakfast/brunch, cooked up by C.
some drinks, singing and laughter eventually lead to a phone call to Barb in Australia with Corrie still in her spotty pyjamas at 4pm, good look at Circus Circus!
Time for some culture as we had booked to see the sensual version of Cirque du Soleil - “Zumanity” - with a pre dinner salad and margarita, at the newest in town - The Parasol Room at Wynn’s casino - beside a massive coloured waterfall 100 feet wide and 50 feet high, with occasional half torso’s to be spotted, very creatively designed.
Zumanity at New York New York was fabulous and a lot like a new millenium version of the Rocky Horror Show.
5am Monday arrived and a fond but sad farewell to Trace and Marc as we dropped them at the airport and after a quick couple more hours of sleep we then headed to the Premium outlet stores for some personal and Christmas shopping before planning our exit to Death Valley via Tecopa.




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



27th November 2007

Brave
Dear Corrie and Ian Way to go !!! The girls and I are so impressed with you going on those rides. The girls would also like to thank you heaps for the lovely cards you sent them. Very thoughtful. Our neighbours came home from Europe yesterday and had 3 nights in LV. They saw a couple of shows there and said they were so lavish. Weather has been very hot but we have a cool change today. Hope the rest of journey is as much fun and we look forward to your next blog. Much love from all Sue xxxxx

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb