Vegas!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
November 21st 2007
Published: December 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, Vegas! Possibly the craziest place I have ever been to. I was firstly amazed at the sizes of the hotels and the apparent sheer classiness of the place. All the lights, nearly as many fountains, statues, sculptures etc. It was not nearly as tacky as I imagined. However my opinion started to change after three days of walking past hundreds of Mexicans wearing T-Shirts saying 'Girls to your door in 15 minutes' and trying to hand me flyers for $38 women. I couldn't believe that the prostitution was so in your face; and so cheap.
But apart from that, I was very much in awe of the place, plus we had Graham to tell us every interesting fact he knew about everything.

The drive to Vegas was also an experience in itself, seeing that much open space was incredible. We drove for miles and miles, not seeing anything, no houses, buildings, nothing. And then all of a sudden we passed a huge water park in the middle of no-where. It was quite bizarre. It reminded me of driving through Poland and seeing nothing for miles and then a shop selling wooden and terracotta animals. Very surreal. Also on the trip we stopped off and ate at Big Boy (Dr Evil’s spaceship in Austin Powers) and saw in-the-flesh, so to speak, the most pointless thing in existence; the worlds largest Thermometer. Hooray. THAT is what we need more of in this world. I think it was 80 foot high; and you couldn't even read what it said. Only in America.

On arriving in Vegas, Carly drove us down the strip whilst Amy and I stuck our heads out the window like dogs and just stared.
After eventually finding our hotel, which was centre strip, opposite Caesars Palace, and had a fantastic view out over Vegas and onto our pool 16 stories below, we changed into Vegas attire and walked to the Wynn to see Spamalot. I haven’t laughed so much for ages. It was exactly like the film (Holy Grail), apart from the Nights of Ni wanted a show on Broadway, but everyone knows that you cannot get to Broadway without any Jews. Which became a hilarity for us when we walked outside the Wynn after the show and watched a group of the most stereotypical Jews you have ever seen walk past us.

After Spamalot we hit the town, well, the casinos. Being underage I of course got Amy to buy my $1 frozen margaritas and just watched everyone loose all their money. Alyssa had already lost over $100 before she even met us after Spamalot (but her parents are millionaires so it was probably just pennies to her)

We went across to Caesars Palace, as it has to be done, past the Pussycat Dolls bar (by this point we had already seen enough Elvis's to last a lifetime) and got free tickets to a club. I of course couldn't get in so Adam, Casey, Alyssa and I stayed out and found the spinning wheel game; soon to be everyone’s downfall. I got thrown out because I wasn't 21, apparently some casinos you're not even allowed to set foot in, so I went and hid around the corner.

After gambling was done, and hiding was no longer necessary, we crawled back to the hotel rooms to put on less Vegas attire, but much more foot friendly shoes. Then we met up with the club lot, carrying around a bottle of vodka; alcoholism is also blatant in Vegas, and drinking alcohol in the street is standard, if not encouraged.

We went to an Irish Casino and played an Irish version of the wheel game (a definite recurring theme, along with drinking and money loss) and admired beer pong; a game I will be happily introducing to Camarthen.

We then found a club on the street, where thankfully they believed I was 21 and we danced for all of 15 minutes before it closed at 2.30am. What kind of time is that in Vegas? I thought this is the city that never sleeps? I'm not sure what we did after that, it's kind of a blur, but I know we ended up in Dennys at 5am eating disgusting cheesy fries and drinking lots of water. Then we collapsed on our beds around 6.


There are no more posts because my laptop has committed suicide, so I am having to cash in favours to get on the net.

Advertisement



10th December 2007

i have people staring at me in the internet cafe because i'm laughing too hard! sounds like you're still having a blast - $38 is quite a lot for a woman tho in my experience! although i have been in considerably poorer countries than vegas. can you believe it's nearly all over? i fly home in 2 days... i think i'm in shock. looking forward to learning beer pong over christmas - i don't have any new games but we did create a 3-course liquid dinner in tulum that i'm looking forward to trying out! see you soon xxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb