Day 6 - LV, Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
May 30th 2007
Published: May 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It was an early start to the day today, as we had about a 2.5 hour drive ahead of us, to the Grand Canyon to do the Skywalk and see Hoover Dam and Lake Mead up close and personal. The early start was thrown off a bit though, as the hire car wasn't ready on time, but eventually, just after 10am, we headed off.

Seeing Hoover Dam from up close probably wasn't quite as good as from the air, I have to say, but it was still pretty amazing to see it and also to drive over it. Pretty damn impressive.

Our wonderful driver John and his lovely wife Jen, our navigator, then drove us on to the West Rim of the Grand Canyon and eventually to the SkyWalk. Driving there was a bit of fun, given that for about 20 miles, the roads were pretty rough gravel, but John got us there all in one piece and we jumped on our transfer bus to the Skywalk. Unfortunately there aren't any cameras allowed on the actual skywalk, but I have 5 witnesses that can back me up when I say that I DID IT!!! WOOHOO!! Jen and I managed it by walking out with confience and not looking down until it was too late to turn back! lol Anyway, it was a pretty amazing sensation, looking down into the canyon from a height higher than the Empire State Building and I'm so glad I've done it.

I also managed to lie down on the edge of the canyon wall and look over. It was Deans idea and he did it first! I was just being a sheep!! While it kinda made me feel a wee bit sick looking over, it was a great sensation. There are absolutely no guard rails or anything out there, so you can just go as far as you're game, or stupid enough too, I guess!

After lunch we headed back to Vegas, driving to Fremont Street for dinner and to see the light show, which although was about 2 hours later than when John told us it was going to be on, was pretty damn impressive. All along this really long market place or street, it has a curved ceiling and every hour, they turn all the lights off on the buildings inside the market go off and the roof lights up with these different pictures, which are different each time. John had kept telling us to wait and see, that it would be worth it and it really was! Hopefully the pics give you an idea.

After this, we high tailed it back to Excalibur, with just enough time to get ready for our Las Vegas tittie show (its a must do in Vegas, surely?!?!), the Fantasy show at Luxor. As entertainment goes, this was pretty impressive!! the dancers were pretty good, but the lead singer was great, as was the guy in the show, who did impersonations of James Brown, Sammy Davis Jnr, Tina Turner (yes, in a pink dress and matching heels!) and michael Jackson (wearing a lot of white body paint!).
According to the boys though, they would have been happy with anything with topless girls, so we probably could have gone to the crappiest (is that a word) show on the strip. Still, for us girls, it was worth going to a good show.

A full on day, but we packed a fair bit in and were so impressed with the Fremont Street light show, that we're planning on heading back again tomorrow night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



1st June 2007

Damn!
I can't believe u just strolled on out on the skywalk!! u suck katie! u were so going to be my excuse as to why i couldn't walk out on there and u did it! this from the girl who was complaining about the valley of the giants walk! hehe wow the fremont lights look cool! so glad u guys are having fun :-)

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb