Rainy incredible day in the Death Valley and fun time in Las Vegas...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
June 14th 2023
Published: July 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post

As usual, I'm slightly late on blogging. I hope your travelling is treating you well. I left Bali end of May, so yes few places have been visited since then. I'm flying back to my lovely wife in Bali today, so hopefully I'll have more time to post few blogs. So the last few weeks were spent between home in Shelly Beach (plus Durban and Joburg) and Congo plus a super cool 3 weeks side trip mainly to the States, here is the first of those entries.

Shelly beach, our South African home, is doing pretty well. Not a lot of diving for me this time, but still few very cool ones...a lot of golf and back to my fun wine reserve too! Loadshedding did treat us pretty well in SA end of May and June, but the last few days have seen few full days at Level 6, that's up to 12 hours with no power per day....for the all of South Africa!!! Got the wine and the golf...not much the lights!

My lovely wife is enjoying her yearly holidays. We met in LAX...her coming from over the Pacific on Eva air, and me, the other long way via Emirates. First night well spent in a hotel next to LAX! Early morning, it's back to rent a car for the coming few days. Today, we are driving from Los Angeles to Las Vegas via the Death Valley. The plan game was to leave super early to avoid the traffic jams of LA...and the crazy hot weather of the Death Valley.



Death Valley, simply the hottest place in the United States. As I'm writing this, today temperature, just a month after our visit is raising above 55 degrees...not the safest idea to drive around! Well, because the is always a well... the day of our drive was a special one...it rains maximum twice per year here...and this is it...a rainy day!



I had plan to leave LA super early. The idea was to avoid first the traffic jams...and second the excessive heat you can encounter in the Death Valley in Summer. Did very well for the first part...and for the second...you are kidding me, this is a special day.



It rains maximum two days per year here! We not only had some rain, but nice gail too! Most places, you want the rain not to be there once to visit....but this is so special that even the tour guides were all having their phones out. We just had to stay safe with the rain, the gail and the thunder...just follow the instructions and enjoy! Interesting point, the next 3 days in Las Vegas were pretty fresh too. We went swimming the last day...but was way to cold on the first 2 days.



We both love Las Vegas. Note, we do not gamble. The place is great to dress up a little...and we love the shows. Having a car, some solid shopping damages were done too! My lovely wife working now for Hilton, we are also enjoying some stunning deals! Inflation has hit the States pretty bad...specially once it comes to hotel pricing. So yes, you we did stay in some nice places, but at prices I cannot share here...oh, and on top of that they love feeding us too! So we do enjoy while we can!



Car rental have on their side finally come back to pre-covid level...and that's more than welcome. There is no cheap deal, but the super upgrades makes it way more bearable!



Hope you enjoy the pictures...of this blog and the few coming ones! Safe travel to all. My next blog will be published from home in Bali!


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0913s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb