Snow & Small Town USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Lake Tahoe
January 26th 2009
Published: January 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Road to KirkwoodRoad to KirkwoodRoad to Kirkwood

Snow Chains required - not ideal if you havent got Snow Chains
Hello everyone!

Sorry we havent updated the blog for a while! But we didnt want to bore you with more of the same until we had seen and done a little more.

Also we would like to say a very big thank you to everyone who has sent us a message, we enjoy reading your comments and they remind us of what and who we are missing, and make us laugh, so keep them coming.

Well, where to start, we have done quite a bit since our last entry, we were pretty 'green' but after a week amongst the locals I think we are finally starting to adapt and blend in. I would say 9 out of 10 Americans think we are from Australia! But they are all really helpful and we chat to them on the lifts/bars and they give us lots of helpful advice.

We have so far been Snowboarding at Heavenly and also a trip to Kirkwood, and its been snowing quite a lot over the past week (we were beginning to worry it would be all blue skies and icy slopes) but mother nature is doing her thing and the slopes and trees
KirkwoodKirkwoodKirkwood

Not sure where the owners of these skis were, this was a total whiteout, just above the Wall ski run.
are now covered in the white stuff (snow)

Away from the slopes we had a day off and took a drive out to Genoa in Nevada, its the oldest settlement in Nevada and had some nice shops and a great old bar with loads of history, apparently voted the best bar in America for retaining its heritage or something (the wooden bar top is still the original from 1852). Needless to say it would have been rude not to have a beer there, so we had a couple and a game of pool, and played some songs on the jukebox. We've also been invited back to another bar in Genoa which play live music and open mike sessions (sorry dad k no banjo allowed) and serve ribs for $8 so will report back on that later in the week, probably with news of our record deal, we could be the new Sonny & Cher, or Tina and Ike (they worked well together).

Kirkwood is a great resort, and it was the first day it really snowed so we were all out in the powder enjoying the snow, until it got a little warmer in the day and turned
Experts OnlyExperts OnlyExperts Only

Somehow matt slipped through anyway though
to rain, and our lift stopped for 20 minutes in the cold rain and wind. A guy on a Skidoo came over and told us to sit tight and not go anywhere, which was stating the sodding obvious when you are floating 30 feet above the ground freezing our bits off!

The runs at kirkwood are a good mix of intermediate and expert, with the expert runs noted by signs with a skull and crossbones on. I went up to the summit a couple of times to do a run called 'The Wall' which was pretty tricky in a total whiteout.

We also had a drive up to Reno to pick up our friend Claire who is staying with us for a couple of weeks, its kind of like a mini Las Vegas but worth seeing even if your not a big gambler.

We took Claire to IHOP the other day for breakfast for all you can eat pancakes, the waitress told us the record was 27 (I didn't know Brasso had been to Tahoe?) but we only managed 2 each! Then we went for a walk on the lake front and onto a pier, the water is so clear apparently you can see a dinner plate at 75 feet depth. Unfortunately we didnt take any dinner plates on our walk to test the theory, but the lake is beautiful nonetheless, and we are planning to drive all the way around it before we take the car back.

We also ventured into town Stateline/South Lake Tahoe to check out the night life, we are planning a massive $10 'gamble off' tomorrow as our first attempt was aborted due to lack of passport for ID. We have also found an Irish bar, which serves Guiness, so all who are visiting will be be able to let out a collective sigh of relief.....until you hear the price.

More soon,

Love Matt & Nat (& Claire)













Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

IHOPIHOP
IHOP

Could be an advert for IHOP, see the joy on Claire's face
End of the PierEnd of the Pier
End of the Pier

At least if we had fell in people would have seen us down to 75 ft
Nat in ActionNat in Action
Nat in Action

Snowboarding photos to come
Matt down!Matt down!
Matt down!

I would like to add the wind was quite gusty that day!


26th January 2009

wow
looking good matt on the floor and claire and tequila go well. Glad you are fitting in and the ski lift was sorted out as could have been amusing you up there forever - great set of pics - keep them coming - si and I are still training up our little babies and they had their feet done for the first time and were saints ! Also been looking into Inca trail gonna be doing it in August so give us all pointers etc as you are off in May? Love ya x
26th January 2009

atmospheric conditions
Love the piccies and blogg! Good point about the wind Matt, but why are the flags pointing in the wrong direction? :)
26th January 2009

Dumping
Glad to hear you've had a good dump, must have been all those pancakes lol! Happy Birthday kiddo! The 26th what a day. What was the skull and cross bones like? Nat, glad to be on two planks instead of one?
26th January 2009

tell claire to slow down!
Hello everyone! Looks like you're all having fun. Hope you're wearing that arse protecter for the slopes matt... actually and that scary old bar - back water hillbillies love a tight brummie arse I've heard! I'm sure claire still doesn't treverse, prefering the 120 mile an hour straight route down - be careful! nat remember the brown paper bag for hyper-ventilating purposes. Right, slagged you all off so i'll be going. Ha ha. Miss you guys. Matt - the Adams boxer hybrid is beaut! really creaming'em!
30th January 2009

From Auntie Mary
Love the Blog so far Nat! and the pics are lovely! God how I wish I had done some travelling when I was younger! Mind you the last time I was on a pair of ski's I managed to wipe out a whole group in Ski School lol!!! Me and ski's is a definte no no! Have fun Nat/Matt. Love Mary xxx
31st January 2009

Woo MIss Noodles/Frank!!!! hehe sorry couldnt resist! Looks amazing and sound slike your having the best time ever, well apart from being standed on a ski lift!!! I bet those pandys were frozen! Put more pics up!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb