Life is what happens between your plans.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Springfield
June 20th 2018
Published: June 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to ride Route 66,( the first paved transcontinental road in America) to Springfield.

We had a list of tourist items that we were going to visit in Springfield.

It turned out 66 was a noisy busy road along the 46 Freeway and not much fun at all.

After about 20 miles on 66 we decided to get onto a quieter road for the rest of our ride.

That was a better option because once again we were on a quieter more scenic road. We stopped along a horse ranch and several horses decided to come over and say hi.

Our guess was that they were looking for food. After a few minutes we shoved off and soon bumped into a fellow rider named Joe, who was born in America but has been living in Thailand for the last 30 years.

We exchanged cards and headed for Springfield. Just then Bruce discovered that he had broken a spoke on his rear wheel.

Off we went to a bike shop for the rest of the day! We were really impressed with the Sunshine Bicycle Shop in Springfield. Extraordinarily great customer service!

They started right in on fixing his wheel and I decided to put on a new set of tires.

They fixed his spoke, I got my new tires and off we went to do our tourist thing.

About three miles from the shop Bruce broke another spoke! Darn!

Back we went to the bicycle shop and on the way we unexpectedly got hit by a sudden rainshower.

We arrived back at Sunshine Bike Shop soaking wet.

The owner, Chris began immediately to explore options to fix Bruce’s problem. Since he has Campagnolo equipment however, the only immediate option was to fix the spoke again and hope that solves his problem.

Chris very generously offered to drive us to a Brewpub for lunch while they were fixing Bruce’s bike. We Ubered back an hour later.

By now, it was 4:30PM and we still had to get to the Hotel.

Off we went in the rain and arrived at our downtown hotel after 5:30.

The best way to explain the day was, “Life is what happens between your plans”.

No tourist visits today.

It’s time to go eat, and get ready for tomorrow.

Talk to you then.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



21st June 2018

Route 66
Very cool Bob. Making memories that will stay with you forever. Indeed those little things put a bend in the road. Pedal On Amigo. You’re doing great. Thanks for sharing...

Tot: 0.426s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.3464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb