The Wind was not our friend!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri
June 21st 2018
Published: June 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We rode off route  to see this bike fence.We rode off route  to see this bike fence.We rode off route to see this bike fence.

Two houses were surrounded by bikes. Really cool!
After my blog yesterday, we had a great opportunity to see downtown Springfield thanks the to great concierge at the University Plaza Hotel.

Randy drove us by the hot spots in historic downtown including the place where Buffalo Bill shot a man over a gambling altercation.

We sampled a couple of good night spots, and had dinner at Black Sheep Burgers.

Our walk back to the Hotel was very peaceful and safe as Randy assured us.

Downtown Springfield is really a hopping place and I’m glad we saw it!

After a few mile detour to see the Bicycle Fence we intended to see yesterday, we set off on our ride.

After about ten miles, we arrived at the Frisco Bike Path and rode it for the next16 miles. It started out as perfect pavement and the farther out of town we got the less improved it became. ( Pictures say it all.)

The last 5 or six miles were dirt, but at least we were sheltered from the relentless west wind!

Finally with twelve mile remaining today, we had to ride directly into the wind.

It was a battle!

Both of us agreed we would rather ride hills than 12 knot headwinds.

There were some hills, but mercifully they were not as steep as they were a few days ago!

The ride was only 41 miles today, but we were very glad to reach Greenville.

Our motel is rather sparse, but there is air conditioning and we get to sleep in a bed! No complaints.

Our dinner was at “The intermission Cafe”, which is on the ground floor of a still functioning theater built in the 1880’s.

Unfortunately the rest of downtown is mostly closed down.

Tomorrow we are going to leave Missouri for Kansas riding straight into the forcast winds again.

Hopefully it will swing a little south for us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The last 20 miles of riding were hilly and directly into Wind.The last 20 miles of riding were hilly and directly into Wind.
The last 20 miles of riding were hilly and directly into Wind.

The Wind was directly out of the West 9-14 Knots.
Intermission CafeIntermission Cafe
Intermission Cafe

We ate dinner here. There is a theater above that was built in 1880.
Another building on the town square.Another building on the town square.
Another building on the town square.

It used to be the Mercantile Store! Now it’s empty.
This Veterans Memorial was in The City Square.This Veterans Memorial was in The City Square.
This Veterans Memorial was in The City Square.

A lot of the County’s children made the ultimate sacrifice.


22nd June 2018

Bike Fence
Thanks for the pictures. The Bike Fence is awesome. What a concept ? Keep Pedaling Boys....
23rd June 2018

Bike Fence
I’m really glad we swung by. I have never seen anything like it.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb