A lovely day for a ride! 66 miles, 4000 feet of climbing


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Marshfield
June 19th 2018
Published: June 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Claus and Diego from BrazilClaus and Diego from BrazilClaus and Diego from Brazil

They are headed East to Yorktown. Came here on College Break from Brazil to ride the Trans Am trail. Both spoke perfect English.
Today was a lovely day for a ride. It was still hot out there, but the humidity was lower and thus the ride was much more enjoyable.

Once again we were on fairly quiet roads with constant ups and downs. However, the hills were not nearly as steep as in the heart of the Ozarks.

We were able to complete 66 miles in a little over 5 hours.

About 1/2 way, in Hartville, we found a very nice family diner, (LJD’s Family Cafe) and split a Breaded Pork Loin.

Although it was fried, we both loved it along with the fries.

The great waitress at LJD’s filled both of our water bottles with ice water and wished us safe travels as we headed back out to ride another 28 miles to Marshfield.

We were prewarned there would be no snack or water stops until reaching our destination!

There was nothing but the beautiful Missouri countryside with farms along the way.

I also witnessed another random act of kindness but this time from my riding partner Bruce.

Bruce passed an older Amish gentleman walking to town,
( he had several miles to
Exact replica of the Hubbell Telescope Exact replica of the Hubbell Telescope Exact replica of the Hubbell Telescope

The Hubbell Space Telescope was launched into low earth orbit in 1990 and is still considered the most important Telescope in existence. Edwin Hubbell was born in Marshfield and this replica of the actual telescope sits in front of the County Courthouse.
go), on the side of the road. He stopped, took off the lid from his water bottle and offered the thirsty man a drink. After initial reluctance, the gentleman guzzled down a large amount of the bottle and thanked Bruce profusely. He then asked us to come visit him sometime and described where his home could be found.

I know Bruce was taking a big chance giving away so much water but I was touched by his kindness. A big shoutout!

On that last segment of the day we stopped and had a lengthy conversation with Claude and Diego from Brazil.

Bruce brought up Soccer and that was it! I learned more about soccer judges than one could ever imagine. Brazil of course was a victim of bad judging in the ongoing World Cup!

After the visit, we continued on to downtown Marshfield to see the Hubbell Telescope reproducation.

I must say it was much smaller than I imagined!

When we checked into the Holiday Inn Express, our legs were done. The good news is that the Cozumel Restaurant is right next door and their beer is cold!

After today’s ride, my original plans were two days to Pittsburgh Kansas.

Bruce has very selfishly decided to let me ride Kansas alone!

Since his flight out of Pittsburgh will be four days from now, we have decided to take three days to get there instead of two.

Tomorrow we will most likely ride Route 66 to Springfield and see if we can find a little American Memorabilia along the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



20th June 2018

A couple of yokels!
Hey, been forced to sleep with any farmer’s daughters? Wives? I mean how exciting can this trip be? Fried pork loin? I can almost hear your arteries slamming shut from here in San Diego! I’m so jealous of your trip but I have RAGBRAI coming up to ease my jealousy. Keep pedaling!
20th June 2018

Ahhhhh The Midwest
Looks like a lovely ride! Proud of you! K

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb