Are we there yet? Day 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Saint Louis
April 18th 2013
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 of our journey, and we started by celebrating our 43rd Anniversary. We started out this morning at 9:00 am after enjoying a full breakfast in the Patio Room of the Hotel. Our first Anniversary gift was a parking ticket from the town of Huntington. We entered Kentucky at 9:15 am and started to look for blue grass, haven't seen any yet. We are heading to Lexington, Ky to visit the Mary Todd Lincoln house. These are some of the interesting facts about Mary Todd Lincoln.

Mary was an aristcrate, she lived in a 14 room house, formally educated for 10 years and came from very large blended family. She spoke French fluently. Abe Lincoln, although he had little formal education, he was a lawyer, and lived in a one room house. His family had very little money. Mary met Abe in Springfield at age 21. Some of her siblings fought for the Confederates while she was in the White House, and ironically her father had slaves.

After leaving Lexington, headed towards Louisville, KY but took a slight detour to the Wild Turkey Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY. The distillery makes seven products (5 bourbons and 2 whiskeys) and we took the tour and tasted 4 of the bourbons-all made from the same recipe but time and water causes them to be different strengths and colors. They had one half million kegs aging in their seven story warehouses, Despite the warm temperature outside, it was very cool inside, due to the evaporation of the stored barrels. They said they lose one third of the product over the 7 to 10 year aging process. They call the evaporation process 'the Angel's share' and that there are a lot of happy angels around the distillery.

Continuing towards Louisville, we saw several large horse ranches and did not stop in Louisville, as we wanted to get to St Louis at a reasonable hour. While passing through Louisville we saw the Ohio River which was quite impressive, it very wide and rushing, with many bridges crossIng it.

We reached Indiana at 4:20 pm ET and as we traveled we went into the Central Time Zone, gaining an hour. We reached Illinois and thunderstorms at 5:45 pm CT, our first encounter with bad weather.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Touring the distilleryTouring the distillery
Touring the distillery

It goes through 2 distillation processes, comes out 131 proof, crysal clear liquid-'white dog', 'moonshine', and 'white lighting'
Barrel storage warehousesBarrel storage warehouses
Barrel storage warehouses

Look like prisons, with bars on windows.
Old train bridge crossing Ohio RiverOld train bridge crossing Ohio River
Old train bridge crossing Ohio River

No longer in use, old train bridge is by Distillery.


Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb