Are we there yet?


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We started our trip today at 9:00 am, with our first overnight stay in Huntington, WV. We are so excited to get on the road and hope to send lots of photos and interesting stories on the way.



We crossed into Maryland at 10:15 am traveling route 64 through the scenic Appalachian Mountains. The weather was overcast so we did not take any photos. We reached WV by noon and stopped near Morgantown at the Forks of Cheat Winery and Distillery. Although they had authentic WV moonshine(very pricey) for sale, we opted for Pomegranate and Merlot wine.

We travelled south route 79 which was surprisingly beautiful (after we got far enough south that the ground fog dissipated). It was very curvaceous, undulating and turning green. We now understand why they call the West Virginia University students the Mountaineers. It is all mountain driving between Morgantown and Charleston.

We continued our journey to the Capitol of WV, Charleston. We were able to enter the Capitol which had no security. We entered the chambers of the House of Representatives, which was not in session but there were a few members milling about, and we talked to several of them. Everyone was very friendly. At the urging of one of the members, we toured the museum which was well worth the time. We learned that Daniel Boone lived across the river from the Capitol, and his rifle and other property were on display.

Our last stop of the day is Huntington, WV which is home to Marshall University the thundering herd. It is a small city (the size of Harrisburg) at the edge of West Virginia on the Ohio River. There is an eleven mile flood dike protecting the city, much like Sunbury, PA. We had dinner at Coach Billy Pruitt's Steakhouse, 2 complimentary glasses of wine for each of us, and I am ready for bed-goodnight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Forks of Cheat Winery, WVForks of Cheat Winery, WV
Forks of Cheat Winery, WV

Donna recommended the Pomegranate wine

Heritage VillageHeritage Village
Heritage Village

Downtown revitalization project
Marina on Ohio RiverMarina on Ohio River
Marina on Ohio River

Ohio River originates in Pittsburgh, flows through WV and several other states we are passing through and empties into Mississippi
Heritage StationHeritage Station
Heritage Station

Revitalized in downtown Huntington, WV


20th April 2013

Moonshine causes blindness
Where is my moonshine? Chickens. You should have bought some.
20th April 2013

Moonshine
We wanted to make sure we could see where we were going!
22nd April 2013

Great photo's. Enjoy your trip
25th April 2013

Al looks so relaxed!
This photo made me smile! I'm so happy that you both are taking this trip. Cheers!
25th April 2013

Wait until you see the photos of Grand Canyon

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb