Discover the Delights of a Wilderness Break at Pelican Lake Minnesota


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota
February 21st 2017
Published: February 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Northern Minnesota is home to Pelican Lake, a 11,564 acre body of sparkling, clear water teeming with fish and surrounded by pristine forest and spectacular wilderness. No matter what time of year you vacation at Pelican Lake, there's always something to do, and a host of animals in their natural habitat to catch sight of.

Attractions at Pelican Lake


When you visit Pelican Lake in the summer months, you'll get to see the magnificent sight of the Great White American Pelicans that make the lake their summer home (and give the lake its name). Pelicans aren't the only wildlife that you'll encounter though, so keep your eyes peeled and your camera ready to snap the foxes, black bears, badgers, beavers, wolves, deer, coyotes, eagles, osprey and hawks around the shore.



The lake itself has 54 miles of shoreline and there's no better way to start exploring it than by leisurely paddling along on the tranquil water in a canoe. If you want to sail away from the shore, you can hire a motorboat, cruise around the lake's 55 islands and discover the many secluded bays and coves.

Pelican Lake is one of Minnesota's premier fishing lakes for walleye, and it's also an excellent spot for catching bass, crappie, sunfish and northern (pike). Guides are available to take you out and help you find the places where the fish are biting, giving you the best chance of a good catch.

Away from the water, you can lace up your hiking boots or hop on your mountain bike and travel along well maintained-trails; you also have the opportunity for some horseback riding along the trails should you fancy a day in the saddle.

If you're a keen golfer, you'll be well taken care of at any the region's excellent golf clubs, and if you're a hockey fan be sure to check out the U.S Hockey Hall of Fame at Eveleth.

Where to Stay at Pelican Lake




You've got plenty of choice when it comes to accommodation for your vacation at Pelican Lake. Pitch your tent or park your RV at one of the well appointed campgrounds surrounding the lake, book a room at a friendly local Inn, or for a home-away-from-home, rent a rustic cabin at one of the resorts right on the lake.

Cabins in the area feature modern kitchens and bathrooms, comfortable furniture and tasteful decor, and make a great choice for families with younger children, when camping or separate hotel rooms aren't really suitable.

Fall and Winter at Pelican Lake




Pelican Lake is a four season vacation destination. Take a trip in the fall to witness the breathtaking reds and golds dominating the landscape as the forests show off their seasonal glory.

Hike the trails in the crisp, clean air, then wrap up warm and settle down with a mug of hot cocoa or a glass of full-bodied wine and watch the sun paint the sky with mesmerizing color before it slips away beyond the horizon.

When the snow falls, get ready to enjoy cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, snowmobiling on the Voyageur Snowmobile Trail, or just settle down for a peaceful break surrounding by a magical winter wonderland. You might even get to witness the Aurora Borealis!

Pelican Lake makes an unforgettable family vacation spot where you can unwind surrounded by the sights and sounds of the great outdoors, and make memories to treasure.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.4s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb