The Do’s and Don’ts of Planning a Trip to the Holy Land


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel
February 24th 2017
Published: February 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Making the most of your trip to Israel is not easy. Though small in territory, Israel offers myriads of attractions - breathtaking vistas, historical sites, romantic cities, and some of the holiest places on earth. With so much to see and do, planning for the best possible trip can be tricky, especially on a budget. Here are some do’s and don’ts to maximize your travel experience:

Do Check flights frequently before booking. To make sure that you have plenty of spending money for Hummus and Hamsas, keep an eye out for special offers and deals to save on airfare. Often, travelers overlook local airlines in their search for sweet deals so make sure to check out Israel’s national airline, ElAl for special offers on flights to Tel Aviv as well as travel tips.

Do Bring seasonal appropriate clothing. While Israel is generally thought of as a desert environment, Israel actually hosts multiple biomes. Summer months can be oppressively hot, and winter months can be wet and bone chilling, especially in Jerusalem and higher altitudes. Don’t forget to check the weather before your trip and dress accordingly.

Don’t try to do it all. Israel offers a dizzying array of new and old attractions and it is quite tempting to overload your schedule with countless museums, hikes, sites, and more. To properly appreciate your trip, go for quality over quantity and focus on what attracts you the most. don’t forget to plan breaks and allot appropriate time for sampling the fantastic and varied local cuisine.

Don’t plan for Saturday. For most countries in the world, Sunday is considered a national day off. In Israel, however, the Sabbath is celebrated on Saturday and most venues and public transportation do not operate, especially in more religious cities like Tiberias and Jerusalem. Be sure to check that your planned activities are viable for Saturday. Some sites that are open on Saturday include the Israel Museum in Jerusalem, the Eretz Israel Museum in Tel Aviv, or the Ilana Goor Museum in Yaffo.

Do come equipped with appropriate adapters and appliances. Like most of Europe, Israeli appliances run on a 220 voltage with a round two-pronged plug. Remember to bring matching adaptors to be able to connect to local outlets. It is quite common for visitors from the US to bust their hair dryers and other devices when plugging in, so make sure your appliances can support a 220 voltage as well.

Don’t worry about the language. Israel is the only country in the world that hails Hebrew as its national tongue. While it is nice to learn a few words like Shalom (Hello), Toda (Thank you), and Lehitraot (‘till next time), most Israelis understand and speak English on some level and tend to be very friendly. Traffic signs also appear in English as well as Hebrew and Arabic, though be aware that variations in spelling for the same location, either from travel books or from other signs, are common.



Most important, though, Do get excited for your trip and bring plenty of anticipation and energy!

Advertisement



Tot: 1.617s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 1.222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb