The Gunflint Trail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota
March 7th 2018
Published: April 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

First some background. Dave and I skied the Gunflint Trail some 30 years ago and we loved it. For our friends that may not know, the Gunflint Trail is basically on the US - Canadian border, and was first and Ojibwa built village that became Grand Marais and then a trading post and a center for logging and commercial fishing. Originally a foot path for travelers from inland lakes to Lake Superior, the trail was eventually widened into a roadway. Today the Gunflint Trail is a trail through the Boundary Waters that connects a number of lodges and lakes ... It is gorgeous up here. We haven't been back for so long because it is hard to get here. The closest large town is Duluth and it is about 3 hours south.



But, we finally got back here and plan to make this an annual trip. Our trip started with a visit to the Duluth Curling Club. You know, the home ice of the US GOLD MEDAL winning men's team. We thought we would stop by, pay homage and see if the Olympians were back to curling at their club. Although we saw no Olympians, we did see the club where they train, and we watched two rounds of club matches. It was awesome to talk curling with the club members, and the Olympic coverage had provided all of the necessary information we needed to talk to people.



The next day, we headed up the final part of the one road going north to Grand Marais. We also took time to remember the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald and the loss of the crew. Although we ll know the song ..., that goes on no on and on ... I am still surprised that the sinking was in 1975. Dave was surprised to learn that the ship what been commissioned and was owned by the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance company ... And Edmund Fitzgerald was their board director. I have not had the courage yet though to register to the song, as that song get S T U C K in your head for a few days.



Today we skied for 3 hours, which is about my maximum effort. We started out at Bearskin Lodge, and skied around the lakes, through moose feeding areas, up and down hills, over hill over dale. Super fun. We did not see any moose today, but did talk to some folks who had seen where moose had been feeding. 30 years ago we encountered a Moose as he was walking down a road we were driving down. We waited patiently for him - he was huge. I hope we see one from a distance this trip.



The weather this week will be perfect for skiing. Enough snow, perfect temperatures, low wind, and lot of sunshine. Hope you enjoy the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb