Introduction


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan
April 21st 2015
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.5991, -82.9312

We're off to discover a new country and culture. A couple reasons we have chosen to visit the Netherlands and experience its culture are:

The Netherlands, also known as Holland, is a country of colorful tulip fields, windmills, historic canals, architecture, and immense beauty overall. It is one of the top destinations in Europe.

The popularity of cycling is another factor that attracts us to visit. There are more bicycles than residents in The Netherlands and in cities like Amsterdam and Den Hague up to 70%!o(MISSING)f all journeys are made by bike. To make cycling safer and more inviting the Dutch have built a vast network of cycle paths. These are clearly marked, have smooth surfaces, separate signs and traffic signals for those on bicycles, and wide enough to allow side-by-side cycling. The bike is an integral part of everyday life rather than a special accessory or a symbol of a minority lifestyle. They regard their bikes as trusty companions in life's adventures. It will be interesting to get a taste of this lifestyle and view Holland attractions.

We plan on spending 5 days biking thru the country side around Amsterdam. We will be carrying our gear on the bike and staying in some of the small villages in the Netherlands, returning to Amsterdam on the 5th day.

While vacationing in the northern part of Europe, we will also be visiting four nearby countries including Denmark, Belgium, Germany and Czech Republic..

Reasons to explore Denmark include: Denmark has emerged as the Happiest Country, Danes speak English, it's the home of Lego, and some say Danes pair food with wine better than Italians or French. While in Belgium we will be visiting multicultural Brussels and medieval Brugges. Belgium is for foodies, specializing in cholates, waffles, beer, endive, and brussel sprouts.. Bruges boasts a lot of historical charm. This city has a look of its own and although it is often referred to as "The Venice of the North", it has it's own style and is very unique.

The Black Forest, in the southwest corner of Germany, is an ancient wooded mountain range famous for its legends, cuckoo clocks, watch making and black fir trees that line its landscape. My Uncle Eddy encouraged a visit to the region for its views and beauty.

We will be exploring Prague and the Czech Republic, the Bohemian wonderland full of surprises. It's a magical city of 100 spires in the country of 100 castles. Old Town Square and St Charles Bridge, Czech dumplings and local beer, and spectacular views are just some of the things waiting to be enjoyed.

Hope you join our journey by following us through our Travepod blog.

Rich & Linda



Advertisement



Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb