Sault Sainte Marie


Advertisement
Published: February 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

On the way to Brimley, we left the RV in a Meijer parking lot and drove the Jeep up to the Locks. There is an observation deck right at the Locks. We watched a Viking Cruise ship, the Bergen, slowly pass through with about a two foot margin on either side. A Canadian freighter, the Maumee, about two football fields in length also passed through. We enjoyed a great (albeit expensive) lunch at the Wicked Sister Café.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Soo LocksSoo Locks
Soo Locks

Viking Cruise ship, Bergen in place for locks to close and water to raise.
Viking Cruise ShipViking Cruise Ship
Viking Cruise Ship

The Bergen ready to move through the lock.
Soo Lock Tour BoatSoo Lock Tour Boat
Soo Lock Tour Boat

Coming from the other direction was a tour boat. The tour guide and captain were funny. While they waited for the lock to close and the water level to lower, they led those on the boat and spectators on the shore in singing YMCA. Even people on the cruise ship were on the deck participating. So fun!
BergenBergen
Bergen

The Bergen on its way.
Tour BoatTour Boat
Tour Boat

Water level down so they can head on their way.
DepartingDeparting
Departing

Tour boat leaving the lock.
Optical illusionOptical illusion
Optical illusion

It doesn't look like the Bergen will make it under the bridge, but no fear, plenty of clearance.
Canadian freighterCanadian freighter
Canadian freighter

Not long after the Bergen exited the lock, the Canadian freighter, Maumee was getting into place to enter the lock. We watched as it slowly entered the lock and then we headed to Wicked Sister Cafe for lunch. The food was pricey, but delicious.
Brimley State ParkBrimley State Park
Brimley State Park

Our site had nice shade from the trees. Unusual that it was not a back in site, but was parallel to the road.
Outside spaceOutside space
Outside space

Michigan State Parks almost always have picnic tables and fire rings at every site. The park was definitely filling up for the Labor Day weekend.
Solo StoveSolo Stove
Solo Stove

We prefer the campfire in our Solo Stove- less smoke, more heat, and a beautiful fire.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb