Saint Ignace, MI


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Saint Ignace
August 29th 2022
Published: February 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We entered the Upper Peninsula driving over Mackinac Bridge, an exciting experience. In Saint Ignace, we climbed 170 steps up Castle Rock which afforded a beautiful overlook view of the area. The local Ojibwa Museum gave us great insight into early Indian culture. Of course, Mackinac Island was a highlight, especially Fort Mackinac, Arch Rock and the Grand Hotel. We paid to walk inside the hotel. Mike posed on the front veranda in homage to one of his favorite movies, Somewhere in Time, which was filmed there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Castle RockCastle Rock
Castle Rock

At the base of the stairs sit Paul and Babe.
Castle RockCastle Rock
Castle Rock

Ready to climb the 178 steps to the top.
ViewView
View

You can see Mackinac Island from Castle Rock platform.
Ojibwa MuseumOjibwa Museum
Ojibwa Museum

On the grounds that used to house a French Jesuit Mission is now the Museum of Ojibwa Culture. There are indoor and outdoor exhibits.
LonghouseLonghouse
Longhouse

On the museum grounds is a replica of a Huron Indian longhouse.
Wawatam LighthouseWawatam Lighthouse
Wawatam Lighthouse

We walked out to the lighthouse in downtown St. Ignace. It is not open to tour but was a nice view of the Lake Huron.
Mackinac BridgeMackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge

A view of the bridge from our campground.
Mackinac BridgeMackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge

Opened to traffic on 11/1/1957, the Mackinac Bridge is the longest suspension span in the world at 8,614 feet. By comparison, the Golden Gate Bridge is 6,450'. The main towers are 552 feet above the Straits of Mackinac. If the wires used to make the support cables were laid end to end, they would circle the earth 1.7 times.
Mackinac IslandMackinac Island
Mackinac Island

The only way to get to the island is by boat. We took a ferry across from St. Ignace. It drops you off near the main street of the town. There are a number of fudge shops, bike rentals, restaurants, and merchants. No motorized vehicles on the island, so there are bicycles and horse drawn wagons and carriages. We opted to walk the island.
Fort MackinacFort Mackinac
Fort Mackinac

The fort is open for tours and demonstrations. There are 14 restored buildings on site that are open to the public.
Walking to Fort MackinacWalking to Fort Mackinac
Walking to Fort Mackinac

Lovely view of the marina as you walk to the fort.
Soldier JackSoldier Jack
Soldier Jack

We enjoyed a rifle demonstration and tour on how Fort Mackinac has changed over the years.
Arch RockArch Rock
Arch Rock

A rare photo of us together, thanks to another tourist (we took their photo first).
Arch RockArch Rock
Arch Rock

A beautiful natural structure. It was a bit of a hike, but there is an easy trail to follow from the fort to get here. Definitely got our 10,000 steps in today.
Grand HotelGrand Hotel
Grand Hotel

A National Historic Landmark. You step back in time to a bygone era when you enter the hotel. Enjoy afternoon tea, sitting on the rocking chairs on the porch (claimed to be the world's longest), dress for dinner, or dance to the Grand Hotel Orchestra. Just a few of the activities to enjoy here.
Grand HotelGrand Hotel
Grand Hotel

Hard to capture the entire hotel. It is beautiful!
Front porchFront porch
Front porch

Lined with rocking chairs to sit and enjoy a view of the Mackinac Bridge, it is claimed to be the longest porch in the world.
Grand Hotel ShopsGrand Hotel Shops
Grand Hotel Shops

There are a number of shops in the front of the Grand Hotel- beauty salon, clothing, food/snack shop, ...
Terrace Room, Grand HotelTerrace Room, Grand Hotel
Terrace Room, Grand Hotel

There is nightly music and dancing in the Terrace Room; one does not need to be a quest of the hotel to attend.
Grand Hotel GardensGrand Hotel Gardens
Grand Hotel Gardens

The gardens are lovely. This is the garden on the way to the pool, right off the main veranda.
Somewhere In TimeSomewhere In Time
Somewhere In Time

Mike replaying the scene where Richard Collier (Chirstopher Reeve) thinks Elise McKenna (Jane Seymour) has left the island. Mike loves a movie with time travel.
Grand Hotel GardenGrand Hotel Garden
Grand Hotel Garden

Topiary of horses and cart. Amazing!
Grand HotelGrand Hotel
Grand Hotel

Capturing the hotel and the island mode of transportation. We enjoyed our day on the island and hope to come back and stay at the Grand Hotel. Perhaps during the Somewhere In Time weekend they hold annually.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb