Alpena, MI


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Alpena
August 25th 2022
Published: February 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Thunder Bay River bike trailThunder Bay River bike trailThunder Bay River bike trail

A view of the river from the bike path. The path came through the Alpena Fairgrounds where we were camping. Enjoyed several bike rides.
We had doubts about staying at a county fairground, but the nearby bike trail and river were delightful! A local ranger stopped us on our six mile off-road vehicle trail ride to remind us that we needed to purchase a trail ride sticker for Michigan. The Thunder Bay Marine Heritage Center Museum highlighted shipwrecks in Thunder Bay. We joined Lois’ friend and husband at their church, Living Hope, on Sunday then traveled down Rt. 23 to their home right on Lake Huron. Along the way, we enjoyed a giant grilled cinnamon roll from Connie’s Café (yumm!!). Mike & Deb have a slice of heaven with a beach in their back yard and 10 acres of forest across the road.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Trail 468Trail 468
Trail 468

First off roading with Mazie. Most of the trail was 2 track, through the forest with occasional view of the river. This was a great first trail for rookies.
Trail 468Trail 468
Trail 468

Most of the trail was sandy with occasional puddles from the recent rain. Very well maintained.
Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center MuseumGreat Lakes Maritime Heritage Center Museum
Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center Museum

Life-size schooner in the museum. The museum includes many exhibits about shipping and shipwrecks on the Great Lakes. Easy to spend several hours exploring the displays.
Cinnamon rollCinnamon roll
Cinnamon roll

Be sure to stop at Connie's Cafe if in the Alpena, MI area for a grilled cinnamon roll. It took us 3 days to finish this, they are huge!
Heaven on Lake HuronHeaven on Lake Huron
Heaven on Lake Huron

Loved our visit with Deborah & Michael. They have the perfect blend of beach front property and another 10 acres of woods across the street. Hope we can visit again in the future, they are the perfect hosts!


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb