Sightseeing Around the Upper Peninsula


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Saint Ignace
August 4th 2010
Published: August 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Don & Karlie in MIDon & Karlie in MIDon & Karlie in MI

Don & Karlie as we enter Michigan.
So today I had to break down and clean house. YUK! We have been playing around for more than a month and so I thought it was time for a deep cleaning. Yesterday we went to Mackinaw Island. I really wasn't sure what to expect. Was it an old boring Fort or just a tourist trap of shops. Well, it really is a little of both but it is such a quaint and charming place that you can't help but be fascinated by it. You take a short 20 min. ferry ride (from the St. Ignace side) over to the island and it takes you back in time. There are no motorized vehicles on the island at all as you will witness from the pictures. You can rent bikes or you can take one of the many horse drawn taxi's. We opted to take the horse drawn carriage tour of the island which we felt was the best way to see the whole thing. It turned out to be well worth the time and money. It took about 2 hours and it wasn't outrageously expensive ($26pp) seeing as they have you on the island and what are you going to do?
Me & Karlie in MI 2Me & Karlie in MI 2Me & Karlie in MI 2

Me & Karlie as we enter Michigan.
We were there for about 5 hours and for us that was plenty. The weather was foggy all day on the island but at least there was a breeze. When we got up that morning it was so humid and sticky it was 72 degrees and the humidity was 73%. As you will see from one of the pictures I do not know what to do with my hair. After I wash it and blow dry it, if I put any hairspray on it, it just turns to a sticky mess. Guess I just have to deal with flat hair......

Today as I said earlier we are just cleaning and laying low. This humidity and time change are catching up to me and I am feeling a little worn out today. We are on the road again tomorrow. Going a whole 90-100 miles to Traverse City. I got to talk with Braydon and Jamison today. I am really missing them. It felt good to talk with them and kind of gave me my fix. I know I have a long way to go as we aren't even half way through the trip. Hopefully Chris and I can get the
Mackinac Island, FerryMackinac Island, FerryMackinac Island, Ferry

This is the Ferry that we took to the island. Don is sitting on the bench in the blue shirt.
webcam going soon. Well, I think we are heading to better weather in Traverse Bay, not so much humidity, and hopefully no more thunderstorms. (Yeah, right!) Hopefully everything is going well for everyone at home. We are living our dream. Just wish you all could be with us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Mackinac Island, From DockMackinac Island, From Dock
Mackinac Island, From Dock

This is from the Ferry looking at the docks and the island as we are coming into port. The houses you see are private houses. Some people do live there year-round. The Lake freezes over in the winter and they can snowmobile to the mainland for things. Crazy.
Mackinac Island, Fort WallMackinac Island, Fort Wall
Mackinac Island, Fort Wall

This is the side of the original wall of the Fort. The wood was added but the brick is the original. Not very high huh?
Mackinac Island, FortMackinac Island, Fort
Mackinac Island, Fort

This is the same wall of the Fort that was in the previous picture only from the front.
Mackinac Island, GovernorMackinac Island, Governor
Mackinac Island, Governor

This is the Governor's Mansion on the Island.
Mackinac Island, Mainstreet 2Mackinac Island, Mainstreet 2
Mackinac Island, Mainstreet 2

This is a picture looking down mainstreet. Notice all the bicycles. Many people bring their own bikes over on the Ferry.
Mackinac Island, MainstreetMackinac Island, Mainstreet
Mackinac Island, Mainstreet

Another mainstreet picture. Of course the pictures do not do it justice.
Grand Hotel Mac Island 2Grand Hotel Mac Island 2
Grand Hotel Mac Island 2

This is the Grand Hotel. It is beautiful and reminds me of the Hotel Coronado in San Diego. This one however charges non-guests $10 to just walk on the premises so needless to say I did not partake. We just took a gander from our carriage as we drove by. The movie Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve & Jane Seymour was filmed here. I would have loved to see inside. Too cheap! There is a golf course to the left of this street.
Mackinac Island, St. AnnMackinac Island, St. Ann
Mackinac Island, St. Ann

There are 3 cemeteries on the Island. This is the Catholic one. There is a Protestant one and one for the soldiers. People can still be buried in all but the soldier one. The only requirements are you have to have been a resident of the Island for 15 years, be in good standing with your church and of course DEAD!
Mackinac Island, SoldierMackinac Island, Soldier
Mackinac Island, Soldier

This is the Soldier's cemetery.
Mackinac Island, Arch Rock 2Mackinac Island, Arch Rock 2
Mackinac Island, Arch Rock 2

This is Arch Rock and you can see Lake Huron through the Arch.
Mackinac Island, MI 3Mackinac Island, MI 3
Mackinac Island, MI 3

These are the horse taxi's lined up to take passengers.
Mackinac Island, Butterfly House DonMackinac Island, Butterfly House Don
Mackinac Island, Butterfly House Don

This is Don in the Butterfly House on the Island. This specie of butterfly liked Don's shirt I guess because it was the same color. They just kept landing on him. All the pictures of butterflies are in this house and they are flying around the room as we walked all over. It was quite amazing.
Mackinac Island, Butterfly House 5Mackinac Island, Butterfly House 5
Mackinac Island, Butterfly House 5

One of the butterflies on the Butterfly House.
Mackinac Island, Butterfly House 1Mackinac Island, Butterfly House 1
Mackinac Island, Butterfly House 1

Butterflies in the Butterfly House.
Mackinac Island, end of MainstreetMackinac Island, end of Mainstreet
Mackinac Island, end of Mainstreet

This was the end of the road on mainstreet.
Don & KarlieDon & Karlie
Don & Karlie

Don & Karlie are just hanging out after some cleaning. She is sitting on "her" chair.


5th August 2010

Loved the pictures
Karlie looks so cute sitting on her chair!

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb