Tour: Amish Country & RV Museum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Lawton
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Store parking lot.Store parking lot.Store parking lot.

These buggies were parked diagonally, nose to nose, like cars would be in a parking lot! There were many people riding bikes as well, and some of those were the three wheel type with large baskets.
(Miracle Camp and Retreat Center)

What a beautiful week we’ve had, weather-wise and otherwise. The days are warm and sunny and the nights are cool…I love autumn. If you want to see this camp up-close and personal, and can't visit any time soon, please go to their website: miraclecamp.com They have excellent pictures of what I'm trying to describe.

On our tour we went back to Shipshewana to go through the Menno-Hoff Museum. It tells the Amish Mennonite history, and also includes Hutterites. It was extremely interesting; the Amish broke off from the Mennonites, thinking they had gotten too liberal with the acceptance of electricity, cars, and dress customs. (I thought it was the other way around.) The Hutterites are basically the same story; they just decided living communally would give them more of a simple life than living individually. While we learned a lot about the Amish, we also recognized many of our beliefs among theirs. I am intrigued by the Amish lifestyle. We had lunch at a Mennonite diner afterwards, and then headed to Elkhart, IN to tour the RV Hall of Fame. It’s in a new, gorgeous, facility right outside of town, and not only was
What do you suppose???What do you suppose???What do you suppose???

This area has strange bugs. This was on our Jeep window when we were at a country store, and I asked a woman in the car next to us what it was, and she said it was a bug...a big bug. Ok, that wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped! It looked so much like a leaf, and was more green than yellow.
it interesting to see the evolution of the RVs, but to tour it with people who live in them was the best way to do it! We had many laughs, and were grateful we aren’t living in the early editions!!!

Progress report: the men are coming along, slowly but surely. Bob keeps thinking they’ll get more finished each day, but working so high and needing to move supplies, everything takes longer than planned. But no one has gotten hurt, and that’s the most important thing. I spent last week washing windows and making beds….I’m getting good at the bedmaking part! I wanted to put a note in the beds telling them that the sheets wouldn’t be changed again until October, so not to mess it up, but the housekeeper wasn’t in favor of that!

We had another learning experience this week: we got forked. Never been forked before. Been toilet papered, but not forked…and apparently they’re one in the same, except the forks are easier to pick up! I think I mentioned that three of the RVs are on the camp side of the road, and the rest of us are on the “other/better” side. We went out
How high speed????How high speed????How high speed????

This makes me nervous every time we cross the tracks~~we can only see about a mile each direction, and I'm just not sure how fast they'll be coming.....
to dinner with some Montana friends Sunday night, and when we got home there were a couple dozen forks stuck in the ground by us, and as we checked with our neighbors, they had them too. That pretty much points to the guys on the other side of the road, but they deny it (DUH). We’re trying to think of a payback, remembering that we have two weeks left, and this could get nasty if we’re not careful! If you have any ideas, and it doesn’t involve spray paint or knives, let me know!

I told you that there’s a grapevine growing up the tree next to us (and nearly every other tree within twenty miles) and that it drops grapes on the top of the bus? Bob has been fussing about it for a week, and Sunday afternoon he went up and started scrubbing the purple stains. I didn’t go up because it looked like it could turn into a two man job. He worked for nearly four hours, and got it about half done. YUCK.

Monday night we had a campfire by the lake and grilled our hotdogs and marshmellows for dinner. The kitchen isn't serving
RV/MH Hall of Fame, RV/MH Hall of Fame, RV/MH Hall of Fame,

in Elkhart, Indiana. This was a shot of one of the rooms, taken from the second floor.
meals this week, and we women are a little concerned about what we'll cook for that long!

Remember I said California had a 5c deposit on pop cans? Michigan has 10c per can. Wow. The big difference is they make it very easy to redeem the cans~~most grocery stores have can redemption centers inside the store. You stick the cans in and get a slip that can be redeemed at the courtesy counter. For 5c apiece I dropped them in the recycling bins; for 10c I’ll redeem them myself!




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The front look.The front look.
The front look.

The door looked like an airplane door when it was closing. Unique, that's for sure!
We've been forked.We've been forked.
We've been forked.

We've been toilet papered (I taught public school!) but never forked! This is cuter!
Was I wrongWas I wrong
Was I wrong

about how bad the grape stains are?


24th September 2008

Forked???
Whos forks did they use? It doesn't look near as messy as toilet paper. Now are you supposed to fork someone else? You know, kind of like stickering?????
24th September 2008

GRAPES
My suggestion would be to put down a tarp on top of your RV and then make wine!!
24th September 2008

grape stains
Maybe after Bob gets all done scrubbing the stains you might want to put a tarp (with rocks to hold down) to keep the grapes from staining the top again. I would love to see the rv museum - it looks so much more interesting than the car museums Q drags me to all the time!
25th September 2008

forked revenge
Ok, do the same thing, but wrap the stem of an artificial flower around each fork handle. It will show them how much classier you are then them. Linda
25th September 2008

Hi, Patti--
We wondered where they got that many forks! The next night at the bonfire we offered to bring forks for the potluck!
25th September 2008

Hi, Joan--
You don't know the size of these grapes!
25th September 2008

Hi, Margo--
The tarp is a good idea. The RV museum was very fun, but we like car museums, too!
25th September 2008

Hi, Linda--
I REALLY like this idea!! They sit on pavement (I know, we keep telling them that they're the favorite kids!), but we could still do something with them. I'll get back to you!
27th September 2008

Forked?
WHen Ron was a principal at the High School, we, too, got forked....it had a message, but I won't repeat what it said....did yours say something? After experiencing life with you I can not imagine why you have not thought of your infamous confettii!!! Or is that reserved for SPECIAL people? Miss you!
27th September 2008

RV
I forgot to tell you that I think I saw an RV like mine in one of your pictures at the museum.....I told you it was old!
27th September 2008

Hi, Jean!
We don't do confetti here because we really appreciate this camp! What a mess that would be to clean up! Ours didn't have a message, and I can only imagine what yours said! Nothing educates a teacher like teaching in the public school system! We miss you, too....
29th September 2008

Your Bug
Your bug is a Katydid. Have you noticed a high buzzing sound in the background during the day? Those are Katydids.
1st October 2008

Hi, Chris!
Thank goodness I have a bugologist on staff! Is that the low clicking sound we hear in the evenings? Someone told us that sound is tree frogs, but I think "tree frogs" sounds a bit like "jack-a-lopes"! Thanks for the info!

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb