Midweek Tour?!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Lawton
September 17th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

New and improved model!New and improved model!New and improved model!

I'm guessing that this isn't one of them they use! It was parked in front of the police station at Paw Paw.

(Miracle Camp & Retreat Center)

It’s a great day~~the rain quit! When it finally stopped Sunday evening, it was soooo quiet in the motor home. I knew the rain was loud, but I didn’t know how loud until the end of the third straight day of it. We got almost nine inches of rain in three days….I admit there were times when I thought it wouldn’t quit! But Monday morning we stepped out of the bus into sunshine. Wow, what a difference that made to everyone’s disposition!

Saturday afternoon one of the camp staff came over to tell us there was a tornado warning, and that we should come to the lodge. We’re surrounded by trees (Karen, I agree about being claustrophobic about not being able to see the horizon!) and can’t see much sky, so we took him at his word, and scurried right over! The tornado touched down in Paw Paw, which is only about eight or nine miles from here. Sunday after church we drove to Paw Paw to see the damage; I’ve never seen tornado damage before, but it was so obvious the path it had traveled. One of the restaurants that was damaged
Tornado damageTornado damageTornado damage

This is a new dealership in Paw Paw, where the tornado touched down Saturday.
had trees blown onto it, as well as its patio was severely damaged when the roots of an upturned tree tore up the deck. And branches jammed the river, which of course caused flooding. Monday a dam broke in a nearby town, which caused them concern about another dam down river. I haven't heard that that dam broke. It’s a lot different to be near the news than just to be reading about the news! Looking at the damage around here, and comparing it to the pictures of hurricane Ike’s path, I can’t even imagine how those people will recover.

Monday the women worked during the afternoon to put in extra hours so we could take off Tuesday. We went to Shipshewana to a flea market….not the kind of flea markets where you actually worry about fleas being there, but more like a flea market on steroids! It’s 40 acres with over 1100 vendors! Many Amish made items as well as baked goods and produce. But there were also vendors selling what-would-you-do-with-that? items. We had a fantastic time, and even bought some of those afore mentioned items!! The community is obviously Amish, with almost all the stores closing
Rain, rain, go away..Rain, rain, go away..Rain, rain, go away..

Looking from our window, across the dirt road, and the concrete hockey rink, into the soccer field. As much water as there was on Sunday, and Monday morning the hockey rink and the road had no standing water. (the soccer field took until Tuesday afternoon to clear.)
at 5:00 so the locals could get home and do chores before it gets dark. Even the grocery stores closed. On our way out of town there were many buggies traveling on both sides of the highway~~the horses were loping, just people going home after a day's work! Things that I’ve read about, but just haven’t experienced. We’re going to do more of the Amish history things for our tour this week, so I'll be sharing more later. (of course the men didn’t go! They worked and then went out to dinner...we weren’t sure they could have fun without us, but it seems that they did!!)

Rain…Sunshine…Amish... I think that’s all the news I have now. Yesterday morning when we were walking to devotions there was a light fog coming off the lake, and the sun was reflecting on the water, and it just took my breath away. I can’t even guess how many times I’ve said, “That’s the most beautiful sight” this past year!

If you’re wondering where the standing water went, it’s laying on top of the grass in the form of dew, just waiting for us to walk through it in our tennis shoes!
It's not really a swimming pool...It's not really a swimming pool...It's not really a swimming pool...

it's our new hot tub! I put the pitcher outside to catch some rainwater for my plants, and when we came back Mo had put this sign by it! I tell you, we're all pretty tired of being indoors!
I’m sitting here with wet shoes right now!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Amish country!Amish country!
Amish country!

This buggy was parked in the steet, waiting for the driver to come back. Can you see that the little girl is being held by a woman? Look what the woman's wearing on her feet! Some of the Amish wear pastel colors now, and also don't require the black stockings. I'll be adding more about their culture after our Friday tour.
Caution:Caution:
Caution:

Men at work!


18th September 2008

Amish can wear crocs??
You must have been working hard if they even made you work in the afternoon!! :)

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb