Brimfield: Day 4 - Opening Day on New England Motel Field


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Up before the crack of dawn: 4:00 AM. Maybe it was the excitement and anticipation for a good selling day but more because of sinus congestion and the inability to breath (snort & sniff). No matter, we were ready and raring to go for the gates to open at 6:00 AM. The weather God was partially on our side: no rain (biggest nemesis) but the temperature was freezing! There was frost on our items outside the tent! We shook and shivered until the sun came up.....what a welcome relief that was. A little warmth from the rays from that big ball in the sky....Ooooo. We can make it, we're okay now. Able to put away our mittens and ski caps....is this really mid-May?? The crowds were good and they performed as usual: on a dead run looking for that special item that they know they want. Most don't even go in the tent....their searching eye tells them in a flash if they see "it". If not...too bad-- adieu & adios: Gone In a Flash. Fortunately, we had some items that caught a couple eyes...some big items (which thrills Cory), some smaller. Whatever - as long as it sells, we are happy.
Our TentOur TentOur Tent

Waiting for Customers
The sprinting ends after a couple hours. Now it becomes a sit back and just enjoy the view routine. Hopefully, the crowd stays steady and the buying continues. We find during any long stretch of down time, we occupy ourselves with eating (not good that our field is adjacent to the food court). I pray these stretches are few and far between or I will have to get out and walk the fields some more. I don't know how much more my old legs can take...I've worn them down to stubs now. 9:00 AM came and we thought it had to be at least 3:00 PM. That's what happens when you get up in the middle of the night. But the day has come along nicely. We have sold enough stuff so we can relax and let the chips fall where they may.

OOPS....spoke too soon. The nemesis has happened! 2:30 PM and the rain has started...not hard but enough to make us bring everything inside the tent. The crowd will thin down also...we can only take it as it comes. We are just happy it wasn't this morning when the major, serious buying goes on. We have been here before when it rained so hard that Cory was standing in water mid-calf. Now that's rain! This rain won't compare at all. This is only a dust damper. Cory checks the doppler frequently. It predicts the May showers will continue for a couple more hours. We will stay open but not anticipate much more activity except maybe for a few diehards that don't give up under any condition. Rain, Rain, Go Away ....we want customers to come and pay! Fortunately, tomorrow is another day. Come back and check on us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

 Before & After Before & After
Before & After

Before the gates opened....after the mad rush when gates opened
Booths on Our FieldBooths on Our Field
Booths on Our Field

Even the Cowboys & Indians set up.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb