day 8 - new york city, ny to boston, ma


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, after 2 hours sleep I felt literally like death warmed up. I set the alarm and dragged mine and Mary's butt out of bed, showered and made our way down to the front of the hotel to hail a cab to go the 10 or so blocks to the Skyline Hotel. There was no way we were walking that, it was still raining and it only cost us $5 anyway.
We arrived at the Skyline Hotel, croissant in hand to a few others in same state that we were so we didn't feel as bad but I knew as soon as I got on the bus it'd be right to sleep.
Well, sleep I did but was it in no way a good nor a comfortable sleep. I felt so groggy and my neck was killing me, need to invest in a travel neck pillow thing.
We drove for about 2.5 hours before our first stop at a roadhouse where I very smartly resisted all the junk food on offer and just got a bottle of water.
we drove again for about another 2 or so hours before reaching the exclusive little town of Newport, Rhode Island - the home to the 'summer mansions' of the rich and famous.
We had an hour here for lunch so a group of about 7 of us went to a little place near the water and got some tucker before making our way back to the bus. Jerry, our bus driver then took us on a drive though all the mansions that people (e.g The Kennedys, The Van Der Bilts and Dwight D. Eisenhower etc) only used as summer houses. They were the most amazing things, one we saw consisted of 45 rooms!!!
After, we drove for maybe another 2.5hrs before reaching our new destination of Boston, Massachusetts.
When we got here they took us on a drive through Boston city just so we could get our bearings and see a little of the city before our free day here tomorrow.
We got to our lovely accomodation at the Holiday Inn Express but it's a bit out of the city in an area called Seacaucus.
We had about an hour and a half to clean up and get ready before they were busing us all back into the city for our included dinner at a place called Dick's.
Dick's is known over here because you go for dinner and the waiters are basically 'dicks' to you, they yell at you and throw napkins at you and you can do the same back, bizarre but amusing.
After this we decided it was time to hit the town. The downside. of this was that no one told us that we needed our actual passports to get in here, the don't accept driver licences.
We walked to about 6 or 7 pubs before one of them very intelligently decided not to refuse a group of about 20 drinking Aussies. The little bar was called Red Sky, it was good and the drinks were pretty well priced.
We stayed there drinking and chatting and people watching and watching the Boston celtics win before, at about
1:20am, the group of 7 of us that was left decided it was time to hit the hay.
We caught a cab back to the hotel and I headed to bed by about 2:00am

i had already done this blog and the internet stuffed up so i lost it all...so here is the new version haha.

anyway, GO SAINTS, sounds like they are improving a bit while I'm there there which is nice to hear.

love, love xoxo


Advertisement



29th May 2010

Aww! Jerry!!! Send him my love won't you?! Miss him! Did you have to do that embarrassing thing again where we all got up in front of the coach to introduce the person sitting next to us?! And with regards to "Dicks", well, what can I say?! Sounds like my kinda place! lol ;o) x x
30th May 2010

haha Saints AND Lions got up last night =) Our first win in ages... and it was against the Pies no less! So everyone but Pies supporters were happy with that ;) And I thought you learnt last time we had to use passports?? Even here we don't accept foreign drivers license's...
30th May 2010

re: marn
yeh i heard.. have another lions supporter on this trip. as for passports, in ny they didnt care, nor in la... but here, too strict... but alas, a group of 15-20 can still manage to get away with it hahaha
31st May 2010

well i heard that wallmart have really cheap pillows!!! AND ... i reckon if u leave the plastic on it u will get much more use out of it... bahahhahhahhahahahahhahahahhahah xxxxxxxxxx
31st May 2010

re; loz pillows
mary and i bought $3 pillows from walmart yesterday!!! they are travel ones tho so a lil smaller but def bringing this one home too lol. we bought $1 tshirts from there too! xoxo

Tot: 0.512s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb