Birds and beasts


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
December 29th 2019
Published: December 30th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Had an early start today, in contrast to our customary 10.00 lie in of the last few days. Our destination was still a surprise for Beeb, which we had code-named ‘making gingerbread’. So she was quite surprised when we turned up in an empty field with some ruined buildings. The surprise could last no longer as we headed towards a couple of Harris Hawks tethered to perches in the field. We had arrived at New England Falconry.

After a quick rundown on the behaviour of the birds and the history of falconry, we took to the field to practise this craft. The girls were given a glove and shown what to do, and as if it had been trained to do so, the hawk flew from the tree to their glove, sat there for a while and then took off again. They were both delighted by the interaction and the time they got to spend with it on their arm. I was less than delighted when it flew RIGHT NEXT TO MY HEAD as it headed to the tree. And then found a frog.

After recovering from the muscle soreness invoked by dodging a carnivorous predator at 6ft, we travelled the roads of rural Massachusetts, enjoying the snow, frozen lakes and rivers, and beautiful houses that dotted the landscape. Our next stop was down posh mansion lane, totally in context, a muddy field, filled with shipping containers and sheds of animals!

We had found Animal Adventures in pursuit of the elusive lynx, and they had two in residence (one Siberian and one Carpathian). Also some foxes (fennec, arctic and pale), some other cats (serval and a gorgeous and playful bobcat) and a variety of other exotic animals - chinchillas, porcupines, snakes, alligators and emus (a little odd walking around on ice!). A fun afternoon wandering around and seeing them all...and we got to see a lynx...nay, two!!!

Drive into Boston was relatively simple, fruitlessly keeping an eye out for Offred. Found out accomodation and unloaded before heading out to massacre a crab!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb