Annapolis Seafood Scene


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Annapolis
November 2nd 2023
Published: November 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Instead of going to Europe this fall, I decided to stay closer to home. I am headed to Annapolis, and another visit with Dirty Pat (and Mrs. Pat). We are going to a Baltimore Ravens game since they play the hated Seahawks. We are going to sit in his 50-yard line seats and harass the Seahens coach, Petey Boy Carroll. And let me tell you, based on past experience, Dirty Pat can sling the bull! But I will also look forward to other parts of the trip, like the oysters, the great Chinese food down the street, and some good times in the historic Annapolis downtown scene. From 2022: Every time I visit Dirty Pat (and Mrs. Pat), I try to get my fair share of seafood, particularly east coast oysters. On my last trip, I had my first oyster shooter. Yes, it is hard to believe that an oyster lover like me had his first oyster shooter last year! Last year, we visited Sailor Oyster Bar's happy hour. This little row house turned oyster bar is a popular place with the college crowd. Along with the oysters, we had several bottles of Prosecco, though the college kids focused on craft beer. They also have creative small plates, such as Hamachi crudo, and torched scallops. Another we visited on our first visit several years ago, was the downtown Annapolis institution, Chick and Ruth's Delly, founded in 1965. Of course, the crab cake Benedict is their signature dish, along with homemade corned beef hash. The place is always crowded! Do not fear, if you end up eating too much, there is always a great walking tour of the U.S. Naval Academy (at least in daylight hours). You are on your own at night. In fact, we had the pleasure of dining with a Midshipman that evening at a local Chinese restaurant. Rich with seafood, Maryland's Chesapeake Bay is probably best known for its outstanding blue crab. Meaty and slightly sweet, the crab meat here is eaten in many ways, but crab cakes top the list. Light on the breading, heavy on the meat, Maryland crab cakes really let the natural flavor of the crab shine (enhanced with a dash of Old Bay seasoning). Jimmy's Famous Seafood in Baltimore is among the best places to order them. Locals say the best crabcake in the world is served at the Boatyard Bar and Grill. This is where I had my first oyster shooter, along with a crabcake sandwich. And a cold beer. Thanks to Dirty Pat! I leave it to Dirty Pat for choosing where we eat. Last time, we had oysters most every day. And we went to a Chinese place for Singapore rice noodles about a mile from their home. It was surprisingly very good, and a bit different. And they always pair wine with their Chinese food, I usually choose beer or tea. So, 99 cent oysters at O'Brien's, oyster shooters, Singapore noodles**, cold beer, Chesapeake Bay, and great weather. Fast forward to 2023: November weather on the east coast can be a bit unpredictable. The official state dessert of Maryland, even though it's not that commonly made in the rest of the state, Smith Island cake is a simply irresistible creation. Originating from Smith Island in the Chesapeake Bay, the cake features six to 12 layers of bright yellow cake with rich chocolate icing layers in between. The icing then slowly seeps into each of the cake's layers, making the finished product one of the most moist and delicious cakes you'll ever eat. Did you know? Old Bay is a tantalizing seasoning, which upgrades pretty much any meal, comes from Maryland and this is also where the secret recipe is kept. Made using 18 different herbs and spices, the seasoning found its way into America’s cuisine and quickly became a food icon, selling approximately 8.3 million units per year.
The Chesapeake Bay is brimming with blue crabs, and while it certainly can be fun to grab a mallet and go to town on a butcher-paper-covered table, the best way to enjoy the bounty of the bay is in crab cake form. At their best, they're made with big chunks of fresh jumbo lump crab, tossed with just enough mayo and breadcrumbs to bind it all together before being pan- or deep-fried. Most of Maryland's top restaurants serve their own take on the dish, but they're best enjoyed at casual spots on the waterfront.

Bowie Home state of the greatest blue-claw crabs the planet has to offer, Maryland gives seafood lovers a lot of options. Only one, however, is home to the Crab Bomb, 10 ounces of spiced and baked crab: Jerry's Seafood.

Redbook says: Maryland’s capital city is a coastal treasure, perhaps best known as the home of the United States Naval Academy. There are a multitude of reasons you may find yourself in Annapolis, as it's a center for business, government and education, and a destination for recreational boating. No matter what brings you to the city, the fresh seafood, robust history and stunning views of Chesapeake Bay will keep you coming back time and again.
Maryland's capital features many 18th-century brick homes, plus the iconic domed Maryland State House. This, coupled with the Beaux Arts architecture of the famed United States Naval Academy, gives the city a distinctly European flair. (Can't you envision a European-style Christmas market here?) Thanks to its waterfront locale, it also has beaches, which you can find in Sandy Point State Park.

Of course, the Ravens game on Sunday will be the "main" event, along with tailgates, in game humor, a few beers, and maybe an east coast hot dog?
I am certain I will be the only Niner fan there but will be joined by thousands of Seahens haters.
** = This simple, iconic stir-fried Chinese noodle dish is made by stir-frying thin vermicelli rice noodles, with shrimp, Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork), veggies and tossed with a delicious, savory curry sauce. An easy one pot meal that's great for any day of the week!
But undoubtedly the highlight of my visit is bantering with Dirty Pat and Renee'. Both are not only well-educated, but possess almost unlimited wit, charm, and humility, a rare combination. I am most fortunate!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.508s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 35; qc: 151; dbt: 0.324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb