City of Annapolis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Annapolis
November 2nd 2023
Published: November 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

There is more to Annapolis I would like to share. First, the population is only about 41,000. Second, Annapolis is home to the United States Naval Academy, founded in 1845. It is also the home of St. John's College, founded in 1696 as King William's School (the third oldest institution of higher learning in the US). From the city's website: Walk along the old brick sidewalks much as George Washington or Thomas Jefferson did in the days when Annapolis was the Capital of the United States. And amazingly, if you squint your eyes, you will see a city which looks remarkably similar to what our Founding Fathers saw in their day. Architecturally, Annapolis boasts some of the finest 17th and 18th Century buildings in the country - including the residences of all four Maryland signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Some history:
From its earliest days as a colonial capital city, Annapolis was known as the "Athens of America." For here one could find a wealth of cultural activities, a glittering social season, gracious hospitality and intellectual stimulation. The small seaport brought visitors from around the world who shared the news of the day while enjoying the ambiance and exquisite tidewater cuisine of the local pubs.

You will find the same atmosphere today, drawing more than 4 million people a year to its shores. Annapolis has been welcoming visitors for more than 300 years, but it remains a wonderful place to live, work and raise a family.

The capital of Maryland was originally called "Providence" when settled by the Puritans. It was later called "Anne Arundel's Towne" after the wife of Lord Baltimore, who owned the proprietary colony. It wasn't until a Royal Governor, Sir Francis Nicholson, moved the capital here from St. Mary's City that the small seaport received its present name. Sir Francis chose to honor Princess Anne, heir to the throne. In 1708, as Queen, she chartered her colonial namesake as a city. Her royal badge, with a crown over the entwined thistle of Scotland and Tudor rose of England, is depicted on the Annapolis flag.




Sir Francis designed a city worthy of a Queen. Instead of using a customary grid, he constructed a baroque plan similar to the magnificent capitals of Europe. He drew circles with radiating streets to create focal points and give importance to certain structures. In one circle is St Anne's, the Episcopal Church, regarded as the spiritual center of the city. As the Church of England, it was originally supported by taxpayers.

In the other circle, rising over the harbor, is the State House, the seat of government. This urban design was admired by frequent visitor George Washington, who later had Pierre L'Enfant incorporate it into the nation's capital.



A thriving shipping industry brought great wealth to Annapolis, reflected quality of life. Prosperous merchants and "planters" sought to duplicate the amenities of their homeland in the colonies and built mansions that would rival any in England. These homes, which entertained many of our Founding Fathers, had ballrooms and formal gardens where lavish social functions occurred.



The government has always played a major part in the ongoing operations of Annapolis. The same State House where George Washington tendered his resignation as General of the Continental Army following the Revolutionary War is still charged with energy during the three months every year the Maryland General Assembly meets in its chambers. The Governor and Lieutenant Governor have their offices there, and it is used for a number of state functions throughout the year.

Annapolis has great historical significance for other reasons. The capital of Maryland was the country's capital when the Treaty of Paris, ending the Revolutionary War, was signed here. All four Maryland signers of the Declaration of Independence had impressive homes in Annapolis, which still stand today.

Actor Robert Duvall might be the most famous person from Annapolis. From Maryland, some famous people: Thurgood Marshall, Michael Phelps, Edgar Allan Poe, Harriet Tubman, George (Babe) Ruth, Dashiell Hammett, Johns Hopkins, Francis Scott Key, Nancy Pelosi, Tom Clancy, Cal Ripken Jr., Upton Sinclair, and Pete Sampras.



Today, Annapolis has more of these original 18th century structures standing than any other city in the United States. Many are open to the public, where their beauty and architectural style is a major attraction. Historic Annapolis Foundation operates the William Paca house as a museum, and also has a wealth of information about many of the other historical treasures.

For me, walking around Annapolis is quite a treat. Seeing the Naval Academy is quite inspiring. The town center is walkable, filled with shops and restaurants, and of course, bars. Our favorite is O'Brien's since they have a great happy hour with 99 cent oysters. I think they all know Dirty Pat by his real name, Dirty Pat!!

Go Navy!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb