Travels with Snowbirds 2015, It's all about just pictures


Advertisement
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
February 13th 2015
Published: March 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

February 2015, New Orleans, All About Mardi Gras Pictures This is the first of two blogs I will post with pictures. These are pictures of the Mardi Gras trip. The next one I will work on has the rest of the pictures I took. Due to lack of decent wifi, I was not able to post pictures as I wrote the blogs. Now that I am home, problem resolved. YOU WILL HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM TO SEE THE ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 104, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Thursdays Parades, Thursdays Parades,
Thursdays Parades,

2 parades tonight, one following the other. Motorcycle groups lead every parade. About 50 old fat men on yellow motorbikes for this parade. I could not read the name of their group.
Each Krewe has a lead nightEach Krewe has a lead night
Each Krewe has a lead night

He leads the float for his "Krewe" (A social club whose sold purpose is to have fun all year preparing for next years' Mardi Gras. They often pay large amounts of dues - $100 to many thousands per year - just to pay for the honor of being in the Krewe. Lotteries are held for Maids, Knights, and King and Queen, or they can be bought for a large enough donation. Dues pay for making the float and trinket throw aways. Each participant pays for his own costume. There is no corporate involvement or subsidy.
A Maid, for this Krewe she rode a horseA Maid, for this Krewe she rode a horse
A Maid, for this Krewe she rode a horse

Other Krewes would have Maids riding on floats.
A local high school bandA local high school band
A local high school band

I cannot tell you how many high school bands were in these parades. It seemed that some parades had over 10. There could be over 100 marchers, from drum majors, twirlers, dance line, musicians, mascots, etc. ALL BANDS had brand spanking new uniforms for all member. Spifffy uniforms to boot with wonderful head gear. Most bands had brand new instruments, and I counted up to 9 sparkly white tubas in one band, and 3 rows of drums in their line. I found this amazing and fascinating. Who paid for all that equipment. If the bands are that large, how big is the student body? How many kids play football?? I thought some of the dancers costumes a little skimpy for high school, and some of those girls were very cold.
Float in one of the first paradesFloat in one of the first parades
Float in one of the first parades

Parades take place over the course of the week before Mardi Gras day, the day/Tuesday before Lent starts. The closer you are to the big day, the bigger and more elaborate the parade is. Each parade has a theme, and each float must conform to that theme.
The 610 StompersThe 610 Stompers
The 610 Stompers

rather than have a float, this Krewe dances their way down the 5 mile course of the parade. Most parades follow the same basic route, but have different start and end locations, because there are so many members and float. Most chose an end location that can park the floats while they wait for removal to storage the next day, and go inside the convention center or local hotel for a mardi gras ball after their parade work is done.
Our Tour Guide, or Wagonmster, GregOur Tour Guide, or Wagonmster, Greg
Our Tour Guide, or Wagonmster, Greg

This is how he gets around town. Rather than ride one of our buses, he takes his motorcycle which offers him an easier way of cutting thru traffic. 2 wheels in front, one in back?
MuffalettaMuffaletta
Muffaletta

Or, part of one. I bought a half and ate 1/4 of that half before taking the picture. Each whole one is a whole loaf of good quality round 'italian' bread sliced in half, filled with different Italian meat and cheeses and topped with olive spread. This one was grilled like a panini, which they don't need to be. $17 for whole, $9 for half. I ate half for lunch and took the rest to the parade for dinner.
Thursday's ParadeThursday's Parade
Thursday's Parade

A bit more colorful than those of Wednesday
Jazz Band FloatJazz Band Float
Jazz Band Float

Everyone in this town seems to play in a 5 piece jazz band. They ride in floats, playing and drinking and playing and drinking, and sometimes insulting the crowd if they don't cheer enough. By the time paraders get to our viewing station, they are well fortified!!
Typical Thursday FloatTypical Thursday Float
Typical Thursday Float

Difficult to capture these pictures, sometimes the float is driving to fast, sometimes not lit enough. The floats are double decker, as you might be able to see here, and Krewe members toss trinkets from both levels.
Carrier of lightCarrier of light
Carrier of light

In years gone by, Oil lamps carried by Krewe members lit the parade route. We have street lights now but to keep the tradition alive, some Krewes have light carriers.



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb