Laissez le bon temps roulez!


Advertisement
Published: August 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Before this trip, I had been to Nawlins twice- once to see the UT football team play in the Sugar Bowl and then again to see the basketball team to compete in the Final Four. For those of you keeping track, that means I was 13 and 20 on each trip, respectively. And here I am, back at 24. Each time is certainly a different experience; each time I love the city just a bit more. If it weren't for the damn mosquitos and humidity, I'd probably have a go at living there.

Yes, the French Quarter is intact. Yes, the Garden District still looks the same. Brennan's and Arnaud's are still turning out spectacular food, live music is still pouring out of clubs, and Marie Laveau's is still selling gris-gris bags.

But the second you step out of those districts, it feels like you've arrived just after Hurricane Katrina hit. Mounds of trash and debris are piled high on street corners, half of the businesses on Canal Street are still boarded up, and Jackson Square was totally empty, save for one fortune teller (see pic) and one painter. I went on a walking tour and our guide was completely surprised that anyone showed up.

The city is still alive, but it desperately needs support. If you have never been, or if you haven't been in a while, please go pay her a visit.

Suggestions on where to go, what to do:
- Take a cooking class at the New Orleans School of Cooking
- Get a muffaletta sandwich at the Central Grocery (where they originated)
- Go on a swamp tour and see some live alligators
- Take a guided walking tour of some of the historic areas (the midnight tours are especially cool)
- Enjoy a po-boy at Mother's (on Poydras street)


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Merlin - Nawlins styleMerlin - Nawlins style
Merlin - Nawlins style

One of the few fortune-tellers left on Jackson Square
BalconiesBalconies
Balconies

Something I love about New Orleans
John Goodman's houseJohn Goodman's house
John Goodman's house

The last time I saw this place, it belonged to Trent Reznor... and I stole some seashells from the front yard.
Along Canal StreetAlong Canal Street
Along Canal Street

This is where it starts to get ugly..
Further up CanalFurther up Canal
Further up Canal

Garbage still lines a lot of streets
Nobody homeNobody home
Nobody home

This was around the corner from the hostel.
Diggin' the treesDiggin' the trees
Diggin' the trees

Oak Alley Plantation


29th August 2006

Is that last pic (the one with the trees) where they filmed the childhood parts in Forrest Gump? ...Or do all Louisianna plantations look like that?
22nd December 2006

Thank you!
I wanted to thank you for your entry... it is the reason I have decided to extend part of my vacation route in the spring to include the city!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 998.2kb