Mardi Gras by Accident


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
February 10th 2007
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mardi Gras wreathMardi Gras wreathMardi Gras wreath

What goes up when the christmas decos come down.
As I type this, we're preparing to check out of our hotel in New Orleans with regret. We'd really like to stay another night or two, but it's not the most economical place to stay and the road beckons.
We were quite naive about New Orleans. All the locals we've spoken to along the way have told us not to go off the beaten tourist path because crime has escalated since Katrina. So, I booked a hotel on Bourbon Street, being the only street I had heard of. Little did I know it is the nightlife capital of the world. Little did I know that unless I specifically asked for a quiet room, we'd be put in a room next to the bar with the loudest cover band known to mankind. Little did I know we'd be here during Mardi Gras (I knew it was something to do with Lent, but I'm not really up on these things).
Anyway, despite these initial setbacks, New Orleans is a magic place. We didn't get much further than exploring the French Quarter and the French Market, but we know we'd like to go back someday (probably best as a couple when CJ's moved out!)
Beignets and cafe au laitBeignets and cafe au laitBeignets and cafe au lait

At the world famous Cafe du Monde.

Nic ventured out on the first night so that at least one of us could experience the famous nightlife. He returned home at about 1am a bit the worse for wear and covered in Mardi Gras beads, declaring it the best place for a night out he'd ever been to.
The next morning it was coffee and beignets (french doughnuts) at Cafe du Monde, a stroll round the market and a horse-drawn carriage tour of the Vieux Carre. It had such a great atmosphere, and everywhere we went, people had made an effort for the Mardi Gras season, decorating their homes, businesses (and themselves) with the traditional purple, green and gold.
We ventured out of the French Quarter last night to watch one of the first parades of the season. Throughout Louisiana, there are mysterious 'krewes' with various membership restrictions, who hold balls and parades - some of them have been doing it for over 200 years. The Oshun Krewe, who performed the parade we saw, is a relatively new one. Unfortunately the weather turned cold suddenly and we we caught without any jackets. After talking to some other people behind the barrcades on St Charles Avenue, we worked out
A Hurricane and a Shirley TempleA Hurricane and a Shirley TempleA Hurricane and a Shirley Temple

The Coffee Pot restaurant. The catfish was excellent!
that the parade started some 6 miles away, so by the time it reached us an hour and a half later, the marching girls and musicians looked exhausted. But it was great fun catching the beads thrown from the elaborate floats and CJ loved the trombones and drums. He definately wants to be in a school band! He was blue with cold by the time we got back to the hotel, but immensely proud of the masses of beads draped around his neck. Luckily, we'd organised a room change to one overlooking the inner courtyard and pool, so this time we all slept like babies.
It's a 12.00 checkout - for the first time, we may actually take advantage of that and dash out for coffee and beignets and some last-minute souvenir shopping...!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Sticky mittsSticky mitts
Sticky mitts

Everyone in New Orleans has them, along with powdered sugar down the front of their shirts, courtesy of Cafe du Monde.
Beads and masksBeads and masks
Beads and masks

There's a string of beads for everyone - soccer balls, playing cards, tabasco bottles, dukes of hazard cars, flags, sporting teams, cartoon characters, oysters and even boobs and willies!


11th February 2007

Tres, tres bien!
Wow! Talk about living! The atmosphere was just dripping off this page! And what wonderful photos! Are there enough exclamation marks in this?

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb