Mammoth cave national park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Mammoth Cave
August 20th 2006
Published: July 14th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Kentucky


Last time I visited a cave was 3 years ago in Virginia, and I still had vivid memories. Visiting a cave is like entering a totally different world, not spooky but fascinating.

At last minute we decided to go to Kentucky state, mainly to visit the Mammoth cave national park.

In Virginia, the cave was small but full of stalactites, stalagmites and other cave structures. In Mammoth cave, it's totally different as its more the sheer size of the cave system that is impressing. During a 2 hour tour, you visit only a very small fraction of the cave system. Some rooms, are big like the biggest concert hall you might imagine, while between them, very narrow passages, (vertical or horizontal), separate them. The forest above is also very beautiful, consisting of very old oak trees. Some animals are very numerous like deers and turkeys.

The trip. We left Quebec, and cross the St-Lawrence river to enter New York state. We then crossed Pennsylvania, Ohio and Kentucky state.

On the way down, we stopped at Hardin county where there's is Abraham Lincoln's birth place.

We went as South as Bowling green. In that region we visited 'lost river', which is a cave + a boat ride that goes underground. Interesting.

We then go to Mammoth cave. I highly recommend it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement









28th October 2020
lost river entrance

On the to-do list
Yes, Mammoth Cave is on the list of places we want to go to. Maybe we'll go to the States in 2023. With a bit of luck we'll go there then. /Ake

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb