Roadtrek Rally - Day 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Indiana » Goshen
September 13th 2017
Published: September 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Baked oatmeal with maple syrup for breakfast... delicious. The caterers for the week have been great with a varied menu and lots of fruit and vegetables. Cool, dreary, on-and-off rain showers as Hurricane Irma made its final push north. The first morning session was presented by a fellow Roadtrekker who volunteers with his wife each spring at Manzanar National Historic Site in Southern California. Sab was seven in 1942 when his family was taken to this Japanese War Internment Camp. His presentation started with a video overview including voices presenting snippets of life in the camp and personal perspectives. He described his experiences as a young farm boy coming to the camp, how the community organized itself and began farming and producing whatever they needed. He stressed that there were many good stories in spite of their loss of freedom. He gives tours to high school students each spring at the site.

Following the session I unhooked RT and drove through Amish country to Shipshewana, home of the largest flea market in the U.S. It's open on Tuesdays & Wednesdays, with Amish cattle auctions also on Wednesday afternoon. It was huge - walked around, talked with vendors, bought two Iowa Rama knifes and a metal turkey for my front stoop. Yoder's Meat and Cheese Market was next door, full of all foods local and Amish. Ring balony and Canadian bacon. Area roads were full of horses & buggies with hitching posts even at WalMart. Back at the campground we had social hour, then a group photo, then dinner, then a fun performance by Link Union, a Missouri Ozark family bluegrass band.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb