Rihla #20


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
February 24th 2012
Published: February 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

How has the Columbian Exchange & Triangle Trade affected current day foods & culture?

I think that the Columbian Exchange & Triangle Trade has evolved into something that was planned for centuries. Their plan was to bring all these foods together to show people that culture is a good thing and that we all can share what we have for other things people own.



Provide a family recipe that includes at least one of the following ingredients and then answer the questions that follow:



Grand Daddy's Sweet Patato Pie

1. What are the origins of this recipe?

I am not sure where it originated, but I think it is from my Grand Daddy



2. Does your family in someway identify with this recipe? Why or why not?

Particularly my family on my dad side does because it was his dad who made it. Since my Grand Daddy died and we never got the recipe from him before he got sick, everyone identifies it as a memeory. Therefore, everytime we come together as a family, we all eat sweet potato pie that is homemade and store bought to try to even compare what it used to taste like, but no one can ever match it.



3. Do you think people should have access to a variety of foods? Why or why not?

I think that people should have access to different foods because it is always good to try something new and who knows, a person may like it better than what they originally eat.



4. In general, do you think food is an important aspect of one’s culture? Explain.

Of course I think food is an important aspect of culture because it tells a story just like a dance or clothing. I can tell a happy story, sad story, courageous story, or a depressing story and they best part is that secret ingrediant that keeps you guessing and wanting more. The secret ingrediant in the story could be the ending because it is the most significant, but if you miss it, you lost the emotion. Just like if were food and you lose the secret ingrediant, you lose the taste.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb