Rihla # 19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
February 20th 2012
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What are some of the reasons that books are banned in high schools?
High schools are banning books in order to avoid different controversial issues. Some issues presented in novelsare extremly controversial, which makes it a difficult topic to talk about. Also, some of the topics put in several novels are objective. The themes in the novels might expose children to topics parnts might not want others to be exposed to at a young age.

Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain.

I do not agree with the reasons people have put to ban books that should not be banned. I do not believe that anyone shoud have the right to deny any person to read what he/she pleases. The constitution has granted people the right to a lot of things. I believe that the only people that a right to stop someone the right to read something is his/her parents or oneself.

What reasons do you NOT agree with (this means that you think high school students SHOULD be able to read about these topics). Why?
I believe that covering up something in history that happened is not right. Teens should be able to be exposed to the reality. As all my history teachers have said, the reason we learn history is so that we are not to repeat history. I think that every book is meant to be read for a reason. History is important to learn from the different perspectives available.




Who do you think pressures teachers on what they should or shouldn't teach?
I think that in certain states ban books because they do not want certain culture's perspective to not be seen. Teachers believe that they have to follow the way people in power believe. Teachers think that every perspective should be viewed. However, they do not know exactly what to follow or what is actually right.




If one wanted to fight against book censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so.
I believe that students could right letters to the government in order to explain the reasons why the government should not reserve the right to deny any person to not read certain things. Students have the right to pick what they should read.
Any other additional thoughts or comments?Books should be able to be read by anyone that picks to read them.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb