RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
February 20th 2012
Published: February 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

As the attempts to ban certain books has become more of a pressing issue in American society, reasons that have been given to justify this censorship have been to avoid controversy in relation to racial, sexual, and profanity issues. None of the reasons given are reasons I feel are valid. In my opinion, the reasons, which are seen as valid, aren't really valid seeing as they are trying to censor issues that students will have to face in life. Censoring these issues only creates unprepared citizens who won't be able to handle the reality of what life is. I think these are all issues that people should be able to read about seeing that at some point in life everyone will come in contact with all of them. Additionally, I feel censorship should be left to the judgement of individuals and parents. Governmental influences on censorship does in fact go against constitutional rights and basic human rights. Though I feel that many people will argue for the validity of the first amendment as long as it is relevent to them, I feel that these same people may be the ones who are pressuring school and libraries to censor what they put out for children to read. While I feel that people have the right to limit what their children are exposed to, I feel that forcing wide-range censorship overextends their reach. Ways to fight against censorship are to attend school based parent meeetings and/or to join a support group against censorship.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb