Burgdorf Hot Springs


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho
September 24th 2021
Published: October 28th 2021
Edit Blog Post

It takes some getting used to, to go fast on gravel roads. Slow is a cinch. But fast, the wheels start to track on their own, pushed by ridges of small stones. The weight on the machine makes it wobble and the only way to correct is slow down. The road North of Deadwood is like this. Straight, gravel surface, it incites you to speed. After a few unexpected swerves, I accepted my slow-moving fate, and trundled on up to Yellow Pine. This is a famous spot on the Idaho BDR. There's gas, good food, a store, and its in the middle of nowhere. Met riders going South, including a guy who had ridden in from New Hampshire on the Trans America Trail. Outrageous. Heading North, the route climbs to its highest passes, including Elk Summit at 8,440 ft as well as Warren and Steamboat passes. The views were amazing. The rivers were wide. Crossed the South Fork of the Salmon. Will reach the main river tomorrow.

And then I hit Heaven on Earth. Burgdorf Hot Springs. A rustic lodge built around a huge steaming swimming pool. The springs were used by Indians initially, taken over by Mr Burgdorf in 1870. I managed to get a little cabin (outhouse 100 yards away) and some pizza from the gracious manager. I laid in some wood for the stove -- they said it would get cold at night at 6,000 feet -- and it did. Glad to have a fire going. Then I wandered over to the swimming pool. Its hard to think of similar pleasures. Hot water on aching motorcycle muscles -- sun going down behind forested mountains. Clear cold air. Steaming water. Lots of space to roll around in. It was dark when I started a conversation with a couple, also soaking. They were BMW riders, had done the Idaho BDR and many others. They knew famous folks in the adventure riding world. I really enjoyed our talk, but I had no idea what they looked like -- until the next morning when we met as I was leaving and they were coming down to swim.

Days Travel: Deadwood Reservoir ID to Burgdorf Hot Springs ID: 136 mi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Boots are made for riding.Boots are made for riding.
Boots are made for riding.

Glad to get them off.
Morning view of the Pool.Morning view of the Pool.
Morning view of the Pool.

Would have been nice to take another swim...


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb