Diamond Head Hike


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
April 29th 2012
Published: December 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today was a hike at Diamond Headwith Judy. Diamond Head is a unique State Park in that it was formed from an exploding volcano (the Ko'olau) many many years ago. It is very steep and uneven trail. The last part of the trail is cement. I will not even disclosed the actual distance to the top because of the steepness. I will encourage you to take your time, bring water, and wear shoes that are not flipflops or high heels. And yes, there were people that wore flipflops or high heels and I was not one of them. :-) I like how they describe the tunnel as small (it is) and lighted (it barely is). If you are claustrophobic, I probably would not recommend the tunnel part. Towards the top, the have introduced the use of either stairs or the longer round, unsteady path. We took the longer way only because the stairs are steep. On our way down we took the stairs.

At the top of Diamond Head is a bunker used for outlook and military personnel during the war. From the top you can also look down and see the lighthouse (which is pictured) and the city of Waikiki.

After our Diamond Head trip we went to the Pali outlook. It is located on the windward side of O'ahu. And windward definitely lives up to its name. In 1795, at the Pali site was the massacre of the Hawaiian people. King Kamehameha won by forcing warriors off the cliff.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Diamond HeadDiamond Head
Diamond Head

Diamond Head Lighthouse
Diamond HeadDiamond Head
Diamond Head

the steep stairs, I recommend going around and coming down on these steps.
Diamond HeadDiamond Head
Diamond Head

overlooking Waikiki


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb