Hanauma Bay, Wiakiki Beach


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
April 28th 2012
Published: December 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we went down to Hanauma Bay. Which is probably one of the best spots to snorkel. I have "snorkeled" before but the difference between the fresh waters of Minnesota and well the Pacific ocean in Hawaii is different by 180!! Unfortunately the underwater camera was not functioning properly. I did, however, see a lot of difference species of fish, sponges, and a sea turtle. Before entering the beach, you have to view a movie to protect the wild life. Considering how many people access this area for snorkeling, I am impressed that many people obey the rules of the water.

According to the website for Hanauma Bay , some of the fish I saw were...Threadfin Butterflyfish, Milletseed Butterflyfish, Forcepsfish, Yellowfin Surgeonfish, Stocky Hawkfish, Reef Triggerfish, and Blueline Snapper.

The funniest was the Yellowfin Surgeonfish, as much as you were observing it-it felt the need to observe you. The Stocky Hawkfish, at first I did not see it almost camouflages itself against the sponge and sand.

The activity was reasonably priced but then again Judy and her family already had the snorkeling gear so I did not have to rent them.

After the Hanauma Bay, we went and hung out and relaxed at home. In the evening we went over to Waikiki Beach. Had supper at Yard House Restaurant . The food was excellent. The fish that I had for supper does not appear to be on the menu at this time but it was a macadamia crusted fish and for a drink I had the Brazilian Lemonade (alcoholic). If you are going for a O'ahu visit, I recommend Yard House. After grabbing a bite to eat, it was almost sunset so we walked the beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Waikiki SunsetWaikiki Sunset
Waikiki Sunset

James and Judy-isn't that cute?! :-)
Waikiki SunsetWaikiki Sunset
Waikiki Sunset

Diamond Head in the back


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb