3rd day in Hawaii


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
June 15th 2007
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post


The next day Eddie and I hiked Diamond Head which was a fortress in the late 1890's created by the king to observe the shores of Oahu to protect the kingdom. Diamond Head is a volcanic crater, cooled and hardened on the south-east edge of the island. It is about a 1.5 mile hike up, and it is STEEP! Thank modern infrastructure for paving the whole trail which made it nice and easy. Once you got up to the top you could see the whole south shore. Mind you there were outposts on the perimeter of the crater's crust, but they were closed for public travel.
After that? We went swimming.

Jesse is a journalist and a writer for a magazine called Look! Hawaii. This magazine is ran by some crazy asian named Tim, who is an alcoholic and loves Jesse's nonsensical ideas for a story. We were supposed to have press passes for The Ms. Hawaii Beauty Pageant, but the pageant officials snubbed the magazine--which was a horrible idea. Tim, being an editor, was furious and decided to crash the party anyways and instructed Jesse and Eddie to arm up and go to the Hilton Hotel and questions discrediting the pageant. Well, that's what we did. I didn't get kicked out, I messed up with my questioning. I went in and asked Phil, a local with a familial contestant and asked whether she would win. He got very angry and threatened to fight me so I left. I figured that I would return from the lobby in 10 mins allowing for the tensions to die down. I returned only to interview only one more person, Ben, who was born and raised in Hawaii who makes and sells lays for tourists and special occasions, this being one of them. He was such a nice guy that I had trouble being a jerk to him--which I didn't. He had such a welcoming aloha spirit that does not exist all over the place. While I was interviewing him, I saw Eddie and Jesse leaving--I thought they were in trouble. In the process of finding them, I accidentally entered an area I should not have which left me at the bottom waiting for them. Eventually, I would see them being escorted by 2 security guards and holding a paper which bans them from the Hilton Property for a whole year and if violated, they would be sent to jail for 30 days. They snuck into the pageant itself, and got caught inside the lion's den. They gave those bastards a good run for their money though, only to have lost by making a wrong turn into a dead end.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb