Displaying Their Artistic Side


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui » Lahaina
February 18th 2019
Published: February 20th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Monday Dan and I had another tee time at another golf course, the Royal Kaanapali. Marilyn and Jan chose to take glass blowing lessons at a place called Moana Glass and create their own keepsake of their Maui trip. Make sure you check out the photos to see their finished products.



We had perfect weather for golf and were paired up with a couple real nice guys, one from the Yakima Valley in Washington and one from Palm Springs. It was also nice that we were all about the same skill level. It was an up and down match, with me winning the first 9 holes and Dan winning the second nine holes handily. I did manage to squeak out winning the 18 hole game, though.



By Marilyn:

Off to Moana Glass Company for a lesson in glass blowing. Upon arrival we were able to pick what we wanted to create from their selection. Each item was priced differently from $150.00 up. Jan chose a double walled bowl and I chose a fish. We were shown the work area and bins filled with shards of different color glass for our creations. We both settled on the green, blue and white glass. After a short safety instruction from Kevin, our teacher, we began.



Jan was up first firing her glass in the oven while spinning the pole to keep it balanced. Then she sat down to shape her bowl while I was told to "blow" into the tube to create a bubble in the bowl. This was not an easy task as I almost passed out trying - much harder than blowing up a balloon! Jan had to fire her glass several times while trying to get the shape perfect. She had to then "suck" the bubble I created to make the double wall. Success! The final step was to take a torch to seal the bottom of the bowl and add her initial to mark the memento.



My process was much of the same with the addition of shaping the tail, fins and eyes of the fish using specific shaping tools provided by our instructor. We were exhausted and over-heated by the end of the lesson but very proud of the job we had done. We are going home with a beautiful memento to remember our trip to Maui.



We capped a lovely day by eating dinner at Duke's Beach House right on the beach at the Honua Kai Resort.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Moana GlassMoana Glass
Moana Glass

Any guesses on the cost of this?


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb